Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
larry8200

Kohler Thoughts

larry8200
I bought a 7112H last July with a K301 and have about 60 hours on it with no change. Starts and runs great. Sometimes at low idle it raps and sounds just like a diesel. Goes away as soon as you advance the throttle. I have heard the compression release can sound like that. Any truth there? It uses about 1/4 qt. oil an hour with different brands of SAE 30 and 10W-30 both It only smokes noticebly at cold start up, and goes right away, you can still smell it though. I keep the oil topped off and dont let it get less than 1/4 to 3/8 qt. low and it definitely uses more oil when filled right up. (of course) I think the oil is as much a nuisance as anything. The rapping bothers me. If it was a Briggs single I'd be tearing it down. What do you think? Thanks

BLT
Take off the head and inspect the fire deck to see if there is a carbon imprint of the piston. If so there's where your knocking if coming from. Also look at the cylinder bore, if it is smooth and glazed, surgery is required. From the aspect of piston, rod, rings and valves on engine is the same as the other.;)

larry8200
quote:
Originally posted by D-17_Dave
You could always wait to it comes apart and then you'll know what was making the noise. lol
LOL, A kohler thats only 30 years old isn't going to come apart... LOL Thanks! :D

larry8200
quote:
Originally posted by BLT
Take off the head and inspect the fire deck to see if there is a carbon imprint of the piston. If so there's where your knocking if coming from. Also look at the cylinder bore, if it is smooth and glazed, surgery is required. From the aspect of piston, rod, rings and valves on engine is the same as the other.;)
Thanks. I can do that sometime, it's snowed in the moment. So anyone heard of the compression release making knocking noises at low idle?

Brettw
Bottom line............they are noisy. I have had the K301 and 321 and they are both noisy. The 301 when rebuilt, the rebuilder pulled the balance gears because it was so noisy, then replaced them, then checked this and that. They do sound like a diesel / ready to come unglued. That's not to say that there me be a real issue and that it will come unglued, but in my experience they are noisy.

Al
Hi, A very common source of this noise that goes away at higher speed is commonly caused by the camshaft. If the bore in the camshaft is loose on one end, it will sound like a rod loose at idle. You can check it pretty easily if you have the sump off. Rotate the flywheel so the exhaust valve is just closing and the intake lifter is just taking up the clearance to the cam. At the point where the two lobes are switching the push on the cam changes and if the shaft has a loose bore on the end opposite the gear, you will hear a little click as you barely rock the flywheel back and forth. About 30 years ago, I rebuilt a K241 in a Cushman golf car and it ran flawlessly but sounded kind of like a loose rod, but not the right speed. I had ground the crank and plastiguaged the rod, bored the block, miked the piston skirt and bore, plus double checked the skirt clearance with feeler guages and a spring scale. I knew it had to be elsewhere, but pulled it out and apart, rechecked everything. I put it back together with no answer. As I turned it over by hand, I head this little click and then I discovered the cause, wear in the bore of the camshaft. Put a new cam in and presto chango it was fixed. Al Eden

GregF
I'm with Al on this. He diagnosed the same thing on a K241 I used to have on my 7010 before I swapped in a K341. I followed his diagnosis and put a new cam shaft in the K241 and the low speed knock went away. The only downside is that the cam shaft was pricey. Greg

perry
maybe the balanceing gears. but i would check the timeing. i had 2 kohlers that did this. set the timeing and it went away. you need a timeing light and adjust the points to get correct timeing. depending on age and wear i have seen kohler points gap set from 14-24. standard .020 to get them running then adjust with light. there is a S mark that you line up in the site hole in the blower housing when useing the light. [url]http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/ignition.htm#timing[/url]

larry8200
quote:
Originally posted by perry
maybe the balanceing gears. but i would check the timeing. i had 2 kohlers that did this. set the timeing and it went away. you need a timeing light and adjust the points to get correct timeing. depending on age and wear i have seen kohler points gap set from 14-24. standard .020 to get them running then adjust with light. there is a S mark that you line up in the site hole in the blower housing when useing the light. [url]http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/ignition.htm#timing[/url]
Good tip, and great article. I have a timing light and wondered what that hole in the housing was for. Should be easy to check. Thanks!