Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
srwven

Rebuilt carb leaking

JeffG
Disconnect the fuel line to the carb and plug it so it doesn't leak. Remove the air cleaner. Even a brand new spark plug won't fire if it's wet. Buy a couple of new plugs (you'll use them sometime). Use a jumper wire from the spark plug shell to a spot on the engine that has a good ground. Connect the plug wire and crank the engine. You should have a "healthy" spark across the plug gap. The gap should be about .030 (1/32 inch). Before you reinstall the plug, place your finger over the hole where the plug screws into the head, and crank the engine. You should feel compression (pressure). If you don't feel compression, one of the valves may not be closing, or may be burned. Reinstall the plug and hold the plug wire near (not touching) the tip of the plug where it connects (you may have to stick a screwdriver into the plug wire and hold the screwdriver shaft near the plug tip. You should see the spark jump across when you crank the engine. After you are sure you have compression and spark, connect the plug wire. Hold your hand over the muffler outlet while you crank the engine. You should feel the engine compression coming out. Reconnect the fuel line to the carb. Close the choke completely, open the throttle 3/4 and crank the engine. If the engine doesn't start, open the choke and crank the engine to clear out the fuel so you don't flood. Then close the choke 1/2 and try again. (Make sure the governor linkage and springs are connected properly and are working) If the engine has compression, spark, and fuel it should start unless there's a timing problem. If the engine starts, but won't continue running, screw in the 2 carb needles all the way, and then unscrew them 1 1/2 turns. You have to get the engine running (even if it runs crappy) before you can fine tune the carb needles, idle and throttle stops.

srwven
Once again, thanks alot. I am currently working on it. I just took the carb off again and used that method from the link on seating the needle. I checked the spark before and I could not get it to jump the gap. I could only see spark if I touched the electrode directly to the block. I am changing the points and condenser to see if that does it. If not I have a new armature(coil) to try next. Will keep you posted. This site and the people on it are great!

srwven
I am having trouble with starting my 7014S briggs(see earlier posts). The engine wont start and when turned over many times the carb would leak. I rebuilt it, and now it still leaks. It leaks out of the welch plug, the bottom drain plug, etc. Is this due to the fact that the engine is not running and therefore not using the gasoline, or is there still a problem with the float? I replaced the needle and made sure the float was level when turned over.

MPH
A carb should never leak (unless the engine is flooded). Check the link below for Flo-Jet tips. Usually, but not always, an engine won't start because of only one problem. Make sure each component (fuel, spark, timing, compression, air filter, exhaust) is okay before adjusting or repairing another component. Altering more than one variable at a time can create a nightmare.[A href='http://www.perr.com/tip9.html']http://www.perr.com/tip9.html[/a]

srwven
Thanks dutch. I am assuming that the engine is flooded due to the fact that it only leaks after turning it over several times, wouldn't you? I pulled the plug and it was wet. I am assuming the whole problem is due to ignition because I am getting fuel now and it won't even sputter. Even before, I dribbled a little fuel into the cylinder and it wouldn't sputter.

Datac
I suggest you have changed the float setting by accident. Find a Briggs & Stratton manual that covers your engine and set the float properly. Make sure you have not damaged the needle valve or the needle valve jet. The float is probably set too high. Marion W. Kerr

srwven
Well, I got it running. As usual on my list of things to check and replace it was the last one that worked! It ended up that the armature(coil, magneto, whatever) was bad. Once I replaced it, she fired right up! Now it won't shut off when I turn the key! Any suggestions? I hooked the wires up the same as the one I took off.