Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
steve-wis

faded paint

steve-wis
Well, I have the electric problems solved on that regent12 I picked up a while back, it was the safety interlock module being bad. Now I would like to try to shine the thing up, the previous owner left it outside all the time and the paint is really faded and dull. I am even less of a body man than I am an electrician so am wondering the best way to try to dress the old girl up a bit,,,,which tool to use, what compound or wax? Any ideas? Steve

Burntime
Buffer with some compound will shine it up. I have had to go all the way to course rubbing compound but it usually shines up. Just don't burn thru. I had a legacy that was wayyyy worse then that and it shines great when I was done. Not new mind you but very good!

Mel_W
Buffing compound ( Mothers ) and a buffer or a drill and buff pad might work if the paint is thick enough. Go to Napa or Aotozone and ask for a good one. then wax it with a good Carnuba wax. Mel

larry8200
A good automotive rubbing compound from Dupont or other quality manufacturer would help at least some. I use the old elbow grease, but there are orbital buffers and buffing wheels that go in a big right angle grinders, and others I'm sure. I've burned through paint with the grinder mounted wheels.... I'd probably practise a little on the center of the mower deck or something. 2 cents worth??? :D

Burntime
My Milwaukee buffer has a dial with speeds. As long as your careful on the edges its pretty straight forward... I just looked for the pic and I dumped it with a bunch of other ones. Sorry, originally it was dryer then steves and it turned out really nice!

steve-wis
Thanks guys, looks like a trip to Fleet farm for a buffer and then to the auto parts store for some compound. Won't do it till spring probably, when it warms up a bit, no heat in the garage yet. This thing runs so nice that I am now thinking I just might keep it instead of selling it. Suprisingly, wife is wanting it to stay too. And this morning, she was telling me she is going to start naming the tractors. She did that with the big Allis farm tractors,,,,I needed one and had gotten to three before we sold the country place. Who knows how far that would have gone! With the regent, I now have 5 tractors for my little city lot, maybe a bit of overkill, but then again, there are a few more that I would like to own someday! Hope to see many of you at Hartford on the 19th! Steve

hotrodtractor
on cars I never use a wool pad only foam. But tractors with no clear coat are different. Use the wooly and some cutting compound I have never gone more than medium grit then follow with swirl remover, then polisher then wax.... yup my tractors get the smame treatment as my cars and they all shine. as stated a real buffer has a speed dial keep it low like 3/10 and work the compound in. You know your working it when the wooly gets that nice orange tint to it :)

perry
reminds me, back in the day when i worked in a auto shop the boss got into buying/reselling cars and had me buff out a faded roof of a red car with trans fluid sm00. it worked but who knows what the future outcome was.