Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

2 stage (dual stage) snowblower recommendations

mbsengineer

As far as I'm aware, AC/Simp only made single stage throwers/blowers for the tractors made in the 70's. However, I'm sure there are plenty of people on here who have adapted other brands of dual stage blowers to their tractor(s). I'm wondering if there are specific brands and models (including year ranges) that are easily adaptable? I'd assume that everything will require a mod to the mount, but I'm hoping there are options where that's all that is required. Thanks for the help.

Ariens made a great belt driven 2 stage snowblower for their HT model tractors that could be adapted.Adapting implements especially front mounted from one brand to another usually is time consuming and can required welding,cutting making brackets etc if you're set up to do those things its not a big deal.In the Case of the Ariens and many other 2 stage blowers the tractors sell for less most of the time than the snowblower in good condition. I do have a belt driven 2 stage snowblower off a Ford LGT 16 thats needs an auger drive chain otherwise pretty decent I'd sell for $100 was going to put it on my LGT 165 but decidec with the Ariens GT 18 and 2 stage blower and the Sunstar 2 stage blower I have enough of them.I'm in central VA

Actually you can buy a single stage new today for a Prestige and it will mount on the Soveriegns and many others. Here is a two stage. http://cgi.ebay.com/Simplicity-40-2-Stage-Snowblower-Hitch-lift-belt-/120680005181?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1916be3d

I didn't realize a new one would fit ... however, there is no way I could afford a new one. I assume it would be $500+. I wouldn't have near that much to spend. I just want to know what to look for, and I'll keep my eye out on eBay and craigslist.

Check these two post. The blower heads are pretty much the same from first produced until the present time. The hitches change for each model of tractors. http://simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=115449 http://simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=115461

You posted 2 links to the same post. Is there just 1 post, or did you just accidentally copy/paste the same link twice? I actually did read that topic already, but it doesn't mention any specific compatible makes/models. That's why I figured I'd start a new thread. Thanks for the help!

Sorry, I guess you updated the link. I see they are different now. I think I actually already read the second link also. I see that covers the 40" 2 stage that Simplicity still makes. I'll keep my eye out for a used one of those ... and perhaps an Ariens.

I am one of those guys who adapted a ariens 2 stage to my sovererign no major fabrication required. But still have some belt issues to work out.. the paint color matched also;)

My 2 cents worth...if you have gear shift tractor and cannot micro control the forward speed a 2 stage blower is better than the single stage. But if you have a hydro (controlling the forward speed) the simplicity single stage thrower will flat out perform any 2 stage blower.

that's a bold statement Mike. I do like my single stage but there are definite advatages to the 2 stage... ice chewing, throw distance, higher auger, longer shoot, snow speed ability. Next year I hope to have the two side by side on each of my soveriegns

quote:
Originally posted by MikeES
My 2 cents worth...if you have gear shift tractor and cannot micro control the forward speed a 2 stage blower is better than the single stage. But if you have a hydro (controlling the forward speed) the simplicity single stage thrower will flat out perform any 2 stage blower.
Mike, can you elaborate? I thought a 2 stage was always better. I figured a single stage was just less expensive to make and purchase ... but performance wise, never better.

I have put basically one step from water thru my single stage. Kinda a slush slurry. A 2 stage would have just spashed it. I also have run wet snow that just clogged 2 stage blowers thru my single. I think it depends on the snow. Thats why I want one of each!:D

My statement does not apply to all single stage. But the trick with the Simplicity/AC throwers is to keep them stuffed. Manage your forward speed to keep the auger stuffed as much as possible. I have handled slush like Burntime, heavy wet snow, and even leaves...yes I have blowen leaves off the yard with the snowthrower. I had a 1920 AC with a 2 stage for one winter, worked great but no better than the single stage in regular snow (did not throw the snow as far). It did not throw the slush, actually plugged more with heavy wet snow. It was hard to tell if my forward motion was optimal, you did not get the instant feedback (engine in govenor) like the single stage.

I can not complain about the performance of the single stage 42" on the 7100 series I have used. I simply do not have any problems with the blower. I have thrown it when it is deeper than the blower is tall, wet, dry, hard packed, throws it plenty far, and keeps on going. The hydro does help to keep it fed at the right speed, but it has only clogged once in the past two years, and that was a feed/RPM issue. Perhpas in the lighter snow it tends to "splash" out the front a bit, but other than that, no gripes. Haven't run a two stage to compare it to, but I would see no reason or have any desire to do so. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I have a two-stage on our Sunstar and went back to a single stage when I traded for the last Prestige. I think the two stage does a great job and if I trade the Prestige in again I will go back to the two-stage on it. Does a nicer job and I have a 12 foot trailer to haul it now plus more weights for the back. Think its personal preferences!!8D:p:p8D

I have the two stage on my prestige. It throws the snow well It does everything I need it to do But wonder if the single stage would do as well. I think it would be close

One of the big reasons I like the two-stage better is that I don't have a cab (yet) and when I have to go towards the garage when the wind is blowing hard is that I don't have the big pile in front of the door like the single stage does. You can also throttle down some with the two-stage and it still blows the snow. After I took the clogger off my shute, the first time we used it,it never plugged once. Did that to my single stage before I ever used it!!!666666666

my two stage does not clean up in front of it very well when i do sidewalks i have to go down to neighbors driveway and turn around otherwise i leave a pile on sidewalk when i have drift cutters on can notgo up to garage door either And i always blow from strewet to garage door so snow is to the east side of driveway not the west so i would get high drifts in driveway and the cab makes it nice, dealer thinks they are crap, but i do not like the snow in my face

Only experience on a 36" and 42" single, but if done right, (operator issues) have never found any snow in WI it would not tackle. But I try to keep up with it, and having a cab this year helps direction. And all of my tractors are gear, so feather the clutch or change gears, but always WOT. Guess I'm happy with what I have.. but some day.......}:)