Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

105 Howizter for a AC312

Dadsy98

I saw a mole control device sell at an auction a few years ago. Essentially it was a piece of horizontal 3" dia. pipe witha closed and pointed front end on the bottom of a 3-pt attachment (kind of like a small trencher)with a pipe up above ground. Above ground there was a bucket for loading poison feed, that would drop the feed down into the underground pipe. It was operated by pulling it across a field - it would make its own "borrows" and deposit the poison feed into the bottom of the borrow. No accidentally killed pets, no mess, etc. One of the old guys standing around said it only took a couple of uses in a cow pasture to completely take care of the problem. Seems like it sold for about $100. Sorry, I do not have it.

I'm looking for a solution to my mole problem. I naively thought that a 42" roller would discourage them... nope ! Those suckers come back and re-burrow within hours of my flattening their runs. any ideas ?

Buy a mole trap. Its a spring loaded apparatus that has a flat plate and a bunch of sharpened spikes aiming to th ground. You put it in over one of the tunnels and set the trip in the tunnel. When the mole goes across the trip !!WHAP!! - end of mole problem I know lots of folks that have used them for years with great success. Try looking at a full line hardware store. Sam

Hey Sam ! Thanks for the input. It's currently 50-50 in regards to the spring loaded mole trap. has anybody else had success with these devices? I'm to the point of trying to fill the runs with propane and tossing a match !

The main problem with moles is the food source. They eat grubs and worms. If you find an inconspicuous spot in your lawn, lift up the turf chances are you'll find grubs. If your lawn is relatively small or you're Bill Gates you can use Grubx to get rid of the grubs. Eliminate the food source and they move away. Problem is they will also eat worms. If you sleep during the day maybe you can go out every night with a flashlight and collect as many worms as you can find, I'll talk to you in three years to see if it has worked. You could turn this into a profit by selling them as bait. I have the same problem, I just keep mowing over the little $#@*& and my dog digs up their holes. The bonehead hasn't even caught any yet, worthless mutt!

I have been using a couple of the traps in my yard also. I have stabbed a few so far this year. It is rewarding to find a sprung trap and after pulling up and inspecting to find the tips have turned red. I just keep mowing and running over the hills. I sometimes try to hit the hill with my front tire to flatten down before I mow over the top. This prevents scalping all over the lawn. I also sometimes imagine the little *&%DF# sticking his head up at just the right time and getting a haircut. My wife always said owning a home and 2 acres will make anyone crazy.

For a small lawn area I've found that the Castor Oil based Mole Repellent works well. Sent them under the fence into the neighbor's yard and they have not been back. I apply 2x per year, spring and fall. My 2 Huskies take care of the back yard, they dig at the mole from both directions and then play tug of war with it Good luck, I know it drove me nuts untill I used the repellent out on the front lawn.

Just stand in the yard for hours and watch for them to start pushing up the ground again. Take a shovel and hit the run real hard and like magic, you can pop one dead or at least stunned, mole out of the ground with the shovel. The next best thing is to do as already suggested and put grub killer on the turf and the moles will just go away. That is the reason you do not see moles on golf courses. DaleC dale.conrad@fuse.net