Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Explanation Needed~ Limited Slip for Dummies

78kitty

I’m in the process of fixing the posi / limited slip unit on my 3415H Sovereign. I’m contemplating doing the washer shim mod for added posi effect. The thing is I can’t figure out how this system actually works. I have everything cleaned, ready to go back together, and have started putting some of the springs & gears in place to see how it works. The thing is it seems to me after the 2 outter halves are bolted together which compresses the springs that the opposing gears will already be turning in tandem, so I don’t see how any differential action is achieved even without the shims.

The gears will mesh properly giving you the right differential action, once the unit is assembled correctly. Suggestions: obtain a copy of the diff. service manual and follow the instructions TO A "T". That includes obtaining and using the separate bolts to use during assembly so that it goes together right. Also, make sure that as you are assembling it that you can drop the differential gear (the one that goes through the inside and rides on the axle shaft) all the way through so it falls out the bottom. I check this many times as I am assembling a differential, because if you get it together and that gear won't drop from the top out the bottom you will not be able to get it installed on the tractor. Again, follow each and every instruction in the manual, don't try to skip any steps. If you get stuck or have questions let us know as you go through it.

i have a allis B-10 tractor that i THINK has had the washer mod done to it. boy is it a bear. i use it out in the woods pushing trees and such. but it can be a bugger to stear and you dont want to drive it on a nice lawn with posi.

dont even think of snowblowing in any kind of snow with posi... it's hard enough when its limited slip!!! dont ask how i know.... although a great mod would be independent braking... brake the wheel that spins and get power to the other side... unfortunately not really an easy thing on these axles... i usually just lean to the spinning side and try to lean back to the other quickly... : ) hula in my tractor seat!!

If your limited-slip (Controlled-trac) hub is working properly you shouldn't need to modify it unless for the most extreme uses. I have a 9hp LL with the bolt-adjust hub set to factory specs (25 ft-lbs) and it always slips with both wheels in unison but still turns. As stated, if you lock it you will have to un lock it to use in the summer. I believe Zippo Varga has a youtube vid on the diff hubs, if that helps.