Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
simplyjim

Carb Problem

simplyjim
I have an 11 HP B&S engine in my lawn tractor. After I run it for a while and let it sit, gas starts dripping. Under the air cleaner, there is the 'tube' that runs horizontal into the carb. On the bottom of this 'tube', there is a smaller vertical round tube that has, what looks like, a brass filter of some sort inside the tube. It almost looks like a course brillo pad. The gas is dripping out of this smaller tube. Could there be a stuck float in the carb? I was hoping someone might help me get pointed in the right direction before I start tearing the whole carb apart. Thanks...

perry
sounds like a stuck or bad float. 11hp carb is a easy one to take apart and clean. you can leave it on the tractor and pull the bowl and two set screws out. spray some carb cleaner thew all the holes and make sure to get the main jet that runs straight up from the bottom of the carb. then blow everything out with a air compressor blow gun. put it back together and see if it leaks. set the main bottom jet at two turns out and the low idle jet 1 1/2" turns out to get running . then finale adjust when running. adjust main jet at high throttle then bring down to low idle and set the low screw. may have to run thru the adjustments procedure twice to get perfect.

MrSteele
If you allowed water to get into the carb at some time, and your machine gets a chance to freeze, get ready to purchase a new float, as yours is likely crushed. Sound like the voice of experience? Yep

simplyjim
I pulled off the bowl on the carb and removed the float. The float has no apparent cracks and is not crushed. I reinstalled the float. While the bowl was off, I put some fuel in the tank. When the gas started to leak through the carb, I lifted the float and the gas stopped flowing. I replaced the bowl and put a small amount of fuel in the tank. The gas is still leaking. So, should I go ahead and replace the float even though it appears to be fine or might there be another cause for the leak? Thanks again for all the help.

perry
did you shake the float listen for gas inside ?. sumerge it in a glass of water and see if it leaks ?. also may have to adjust the float. bend the little tab up a little so the float hangs lower. i cant remember the exact specs. also sand the needle/seat rubber tip with some light sand paper to create and better seal.