Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
grnlark

Landlord BGB Pulleys- What do I have here?

grnlark
I am in the process of removing the pulleys off of my old BGB to put them on my new BGB. The black set in the picture is everything I just took off the right side (passenger side) of my Landlord. The orange ones I had on the shelf from a 725. What do I have here and why is there such a difference between them? I'm leaning towards wanting to use the simple one pulley setup from the 725 and eliminate all the other parts from the Landlord. Is that a Hi-Lo pulley by chance that was on the Landlord? Never seen one before... And at second thought, I'm not even 100% positive that the orange pulley is in fact a BGB pulley - but I think it was.

Kent
As Perry stated, that thin disk in the center of the bottom row serves as a "slip clutch" when you let out on the clutch pedal quickly. It has just enough "give" in it to prevent jerking...

grnlark
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the explanation. I think as a matter of eliminating potentially worn parts etc., I'm going to just use the 725 setup. I can't imagine the jerking sensation can be any more or less than the Garden Mark Squire I had, or my 725, or my Cub for that matter. Realistically, this tractor is never going to see any regular use anyways. This Landlord is my garage queen. My other 2010 mows and does work. :D

dentwizz
Good news is the plastic strip and disc are still available new from the dealer for a decent price. Another point is if you did plan on using it in a heavier sense(like plowing or mowing) you will want the slip pulley in place. The shock induced through the gear train can make items like your axle tube fatigue faster than it would otherwise.

thedaddycat
Ahhh Yeeesss... (in a WC fields voice), those are the tranny drive pulleys from the earlier tractors, which also have the rope cup for the "Armstrong" starter. I have one of those set-ups that actually has another pulley outboard of the one for the tranny belt, though I don't recall what the consensus was on what it was for... I'll go out and take a pic tomorrow for you guys to see.

Kent
quote:
Originally posted by thedaddycat
Ahhh Yeeesss... (in a WC fields voice), those are the tranny drive pulleys from the earlier tractors, which also have the rope cup for the "Armstrong" starter. I have one of those set-ups that actually has another pulley outboard of the one for the tranny belt, though I don't recall what the consensus was on what it was for... I'll go out and take a pic tomorrow for you guys to see.
The earliest leaf vacs were driven from the right side of the BGB and used a double pulley setup on that drive pulley... not sure if other impplements were driven from there or not. I've never seen "evidence" of a tiller being driven from the right side, for example...

perry
old style generator #990220 ran off the right side. one thing that is on my wish list. i have the pulleys and rear mount, just need the generator now. http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/default.aspx?filename=heCBEN8aqJ0rE3Cvh5kbp796Dq