Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Allis Paint Work B10 tank,dash colum

dirtmister16

the tank

i used a paint called miracle paint, it is a rust proofing/inhibitor paint. flows out really well, this is the first coat and can't wait to finish. i only brushed it on. hope you enjoy i will hopefully finish all the paint work by end of the week but may have to wait till early next. we will see.

this paint is supposed to be tough and durable if it is better then the por15 i used on my mustang it will do its job plenty fine. also did not make any progress today too much going on.

Matt I am looking at some rustproof inhibitor type paints lately to use on my projects. I looked at the miracle paint from JC Whitney since you brought it to our attention. The problem I find with the paints that are really good for rust treatment is that once you open the can, they have a short shelf life. They will harden in the can within 6 months after opening. Do you find that the miracle paint will do the same? That makes it critical to know how much to purchase for a given project or you have just wasted your money. I tried a product called rust bullet one time and lost half of a gallon. I recently called two manf. of a rust-protection paint that drys to a nice hard finish, that I thought would be good for treating underneath the deck of my tractors. They both told me the same thing, opened can is good for 6 months, even if you cover the paint with plastic before sealing back on the lid of the can. The only way to prevent hardening, maybe is to transfer the paint to a smaller container and eliminate as much air as possible.

on the miracle paint. the can says do not open. instead poke two holes in it. seal with some duct tape it says. i say use some caulk or silicone, right now with a short working time i have i have just taped it because it has not been long term yet. i had a can of it in the back of my toolbox on my truck sealed with plastic. all winter it was back there in the spring i tipped it over and it coated a nice part of the inside of my box. that is tough stuff i don't think you could ever get it off once its on. maybe sandblasting or just plain blasting it with TNT! lol

If you put this stuff on the bottom of a new lawn mower deck or even a used one where the paint is scrapped off already, your deck should last forever, just touch it up ever few years if needed. I have used truck bed liner under my decks, which has help immensely, but I am looking for something that I will not have to touch up so often. One of the paints I was looking at was called "encapsulating" paint which does not treat the rust, but binds with it and makes it another compound and a hard rock finish. Therefore, no sanding or rust treatment needed prior to use. Your miracle paint might be in the same classification.

i have been told by por15 that you can paint over rust, but is in your best interest to clean it and go through the process or prep. i will double check the can of miracle paint and get back to you. also will add pictures as i havn't updated this thread yet.