Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
AC710

rear lift cable for 710

AC710
after checking out the new cable and yoke prices (yikes!), I decided to get one made. A local parts and rigging place that supplies oil fields and loggers with cable, hydraulic lines, etc made it for me. One end has a simple loop with a ferrule(similar to the photo), and I stuck in a bushing to make it fit the rock shaft pin better. The other end (shown on tractor)has a threaded cast steel yoke. They use a 350 TON press to mount the cable ends, so it shouldn't come apart. Everything is stainless steel - total price $15.50 I fabricated an adapter yoke piece because the 3/16" cable yoke was too narrow to fit over the hitch.

AC710
This winter has been - well - variable...Lots of snow, followed by rain, cloudy, more snow, sunny, cold (-20), more rain, more snow, windy, foggy. Just about everything. We have about 2 feet of snow on the ground now with lots of plowed snow piled 10-15' high everywhere. Normally it is pretty cloudy with snow that just keeps coming a few inches a night and +15-30 degree temp range. Most winters there is a foot or more of snow on the ground all winter. If you go 20 minutes from here to one of the two the ski mtns, there is 5-10 feet of snow. I have kept the 710 plow and a walk behind blower busy 2 or 3 days a week all winter. sm06

mroman59
that price is unbelievable considering even minor labor that would be involved, in addition to parts. what is the total length of your cable? could you have used a 1/2" cable yoke? I assume when you say 3/16" cable yoke you are referring to the inside dimension where the pin goes through. Is cable yoke the proper technical term or clevis? thanks, MR

RayS
I really didn`t mean time was worth a fortune by any means. If it cost you $10 -$15 in gas running around and a couple of hours time the $35.00 cable from the dealer is a cheaper option. Cable looks great by the way.

mroman59
agreed, with the cost of gas now days you have to figure that in, thats why I often make out much better by buying over the internets and I dont have to leave the comfort of my home. However, shipping prices have also risen on just about everything. MR

rfsmith1952
I've been to Whitefish, Montana. It was many years ago and only for about two days for a meeting. The last leg was a puddle jumper out to Kalispell. It was in February. It was beautiful. Saw big cat (mountain lion?)tracks. Weather turned out to be warmer than in Pennsylvania. I remember hitting the travel office, to get the travel authorized: The lady said "where you headed?" I said "Whitefish, Montana" The lady said, "wow, who did you p$%s off?" :D

AC710
quote:
$15.50 is a good price. Did that include all the running around (gas) and time?
Actually, the shop is about a 10 minute drive from my house, and I spent about a half hour there visiting with the fellow while he made the cable. I have had them make other stuff for me, too, like a lock-up cable for my generator.

AC710
quote:
If it cost you $10 -$15 in gas running around and a couple of hours time the $35.00 cable from the dealer is a cheaper option. Cable looks great by the way.
Actually, I did not have the yoke assembly, so I needed that in addition to the cable. From Jacks, the cable assembly with yoke costs $74.34 plus shipping, so I could afford to spend some time and gas for that price.

AC710
quote:
I've been to Whitefish, Montana. It was many years ago and only for about two days for a meeting. The last leg was a puddle jumper out to Kalispell. It was in February. It was beautiful. Saw big cat (mountain lion?)tracks. Weather turned out to be warmer than in Pennsylvania. I remember hitting the travel office, to get the travel authorized: The lady said "where you headed?" I said "Whitefish, Montana" The lady said, "wow, who did you p$%s off?"
Actually, whitefish is a well-kept secret. Winters here tend to be cloudy and snowy but not too cold. When eastern Montana was setting record -60 degree cold this winter, it was around zero here. The norm is mid-twenties. We are 35 miles from Glacier National Park, so when we want a Sunday afternoon picnic in the park, that is where we go. Also lakes, world class ski area 20 minutes from home, and loads of national forest around here. Getting here is the biggest challenge. There is a very nice national airport, but it is generally the end of the line and costly. Many people come on Amtrak. We have the busiest station between Seattle and Minneapolis.sm01