Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Probably should keep quiet, and let idiots be, but

Les

Les, is it a bad move to use rislone, like I did to clean out an ole engine thats been sitting 3 years, run it about 30 min at the most, drain and put clean oil in??? Not being an oil chemist I waste money on stuff that is suppose to do a job. It sure took a bad Knock out of that 16hp, carbon build-up I'm guessing. Runs nice now...thanks for your continued feedback on this subject....MPH

Whatever happened to good cheer and friendly discussion? Try to keep "Smilin" , I know its hard sometimes, but we don't need mean spirits around here. Anyone know an exorcist? HA! Sam

Sam, What “mean spirits?” Les only said that if anybody disagrees with his opinion (that oil additives should not be used in a good engine), those persons are idiots. I think we should view Les’ statement as a glass that is half full, rather than half empty. Les is exercising his Right of Free Speech. Isn’t America GREAT..! Oil additives seem to be like ghosts or flying saucers. Some believe, others don’t. I say, “Anything is possible.” I really don’t know. I guess that means I’m only a potential idiot..!

Oh heck Dutch, I was laughing while I was posting that. Seems this subject is bringing out the orneriness in some. Its almosty like watching democrats and republicans argue. DIPLOMACY at work. I guess since I use Duralube AFTER my engines are well broke in that must make me a half-assed idiot, huh? I'm smilin-ok Sam

If you changed your oil often enough, cooking oil would probably work. Just use a good oil, change it to the manuals specs, and everything will be happy :-) For me to truly believe in any "super" oil additive, I'd have to take an engine I hate, "treat" it, and then run it without oil myself. I don't have any engines I hate that much :-)[A href='http://www.wheatfarm.com']http://www.wheatfarm.com[/a]

Hello, Been following these posts on oil and I've got to say, I've learned a lot. It seems to me that this is like everything else in life, you need to take it with some common sense. After all these posts I have to say I would NOT take a chance on my engines,but all I have heard tells me that Slick 50 gearlube should work great in my Landlord's 3-speed manual transmission. Maybe I'm wrong but I've got to say that at least I feel I made a educated decision from all the posts on this subject and that makes this site GREAT. Thanks for all the great info!!!!

Sam, I know you were joking. So was I. I learned I would rather discuss politics then oil or additives. At least politics work for the common good.

I should stay quiet, but, oil additives are mostly an extremely low vis oil, like transmission fluid, or a petroleum solvent, like Toluene or Mineral Spirts, or a mixture thereof. So next time that you have an old dirty, gunked up engine try adding trans fluid at about 1/4 of the crankcase capacity and run the engine a few hours, then change oil. This should help clean up the motor and make it run better. Yes, a solvent or and extremely high vis oil(like STP) may help an old worn dirty engine. But put it into a new engine?!?!? I think that anyone would go ballistic is somebody put trans fluid or a chemical solvent in the crankcase of their new engine. But put a "Rislone" or "Duralube" label on it, well then thats OK. I happen to know what goes into these kinds of products. In an old dirty engine you dont have much to lose by using some fancy additive, just dont use them in a good engine. If anybody disagrees with that, ... well, your an idiot.

Mobil SAE 30 in summer, Mobil 10W-40 in winter,,THAT'S IT! lol!I was always taught ATF cleans up dirty engs,never used it though because if it's that dirty inside it's too late,, motor is shot! IMO 1 1/2 cents worth.

Using 50/50 mix of gear oil and ATF in a manual transmissing is an excellent way to get rid of varnish that causes synchro's to stop working. Run it that way for about 100 miles won't do any damage at all, and can help an older tranny, especially one that hasn't had an oil change in a long time. Ever since my racing days, I've used Golden Spectro synthetic two stroke oil in weedeaters (have a Stihl) and other two strokes and it's been outstanding. You run the fuel mixture a lot leaner (50:1) engine runs great, doesn't overheat (too much oil in the mix causes the engine to run hotter) doesn't smoke, and never fouls spark plugs.[A href='http://www.wheatfarm.com']http://www.wheatfarm.com[/a]