Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Big Ten

osenga

I have been working on a big ten I picked up . at this time it does not run I got it to run for maybe 10 secs and since then I have no spark from the coil wire to the plug and looks like i have a good enough spark off the points what the odds my coil went bad . But my hand did hit the terminal on the coil wire and it bites pretty good . any ideas here ,

Bryan, Have you tried another sparkplug? Often a sparkplug will look good when you test it, but not fire under compression. Be careful, sparkplugs have been known to be bad right out of the box. Rick.........

yes I have 2 others from running tractors and get the same thing on each one. have plug in head and hold plug wire to it and no spark put plug to coil wire and hold to a cleaned up head bolt and no spark

Well after work I stopped at the dealer and picked up a set of points a condesor and a new plug . didn't want to mess with it all night tring to get it to run and wow I was so happy she fired rite up was a little smokey at start up but went away quick . not sure when it was last started . But i can smell some oil smell when it runs but the motor it pretty oily too but cant see any leaks and good wash down and then I will know if it has any once warmer weather hits. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o33fcQJlQZk

I think these 30-50 year old magneto ignitions lose their punch over time until the smallest problem with points kills them. Weak flywheel magnet mostly. At LEAST 2 cents worth! :D

after the new points and all . Out of all my tractors I could almost say this one has the best spark of them . and after seeing the spark it had sure glad my hand didnt get in the way that time . Think I may have said a bad word if so

I found when one of my 7 B's won't start it's usually the points have some oil or crud on them. I fold a dollar bill and run it through the points. A dollar bill is lint free and cleans the points without leaving anything behind. It's always my first operation,and it works most of the time.