Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

610 transmission falls out

ampmwoodward

Hi, new to the forum. My Allis 610, a real workhorse, is dropping out of it's forward gears. 3 forward, 1 reverse. I've been using this machine for 13 years. Reverse is solid. Lower RPMs allows it to go into gear, but resistance causes it to drop out of gear. First thought was to check/change the fluid. It was dark, but not to nasty. Looking at the manual doesn't show me an adjustment on gears or spring. So I'm guessing that something has worn down. The big question for me, is there anything that can be done with a transmission this old? Are any parts available? Would a typical mower mechanic even want to go near this. I'm not above opening something up if I have a chance. But the 610 isn't a big collector piece so maybe looking for a donor transmission may make more sense. Advice from the experienced is appreciated.

Thanks for the welcome. So I believe the Allis 610, 608 and Simplicity 5010 are the same. What others should I look for with the same transmission?

The Simplicity Broadmoor 728 and 738 also use the same transmission ... These Boradmoors are fairly easy to come by. Tom in Milwaukee

When in neutral and you pull up/push down on the shift lever can you feel a little sping action? If not it may just need some new springs. Or if the shift shaft nuts have loosened and allowed the flats on the shaft to turn it will also not lock the gears in place. I should have a new kit for $140 that includes shafts & springs. You may want to open it up first and see what you are dealing with.

When in neutral I don't feel any spring action, but I don't remember ever really feeling the handle spring back to a neutral position. According to the manual the best thing to do is remove the transmission and place it in a vise to service. If you agree, then I will go that direction and post some pictures of what I find to assist the diagnosis.