Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
x106

doesn't start

x106
I recently purchased my first home and my Grandfather gave me the tractor my father and his brothers grew up with. It's a B10. They have fond memories of running this thing pretty hard for example they ran this in tractor pulls with a cox aviation model airplane fuel mixture. I guess it would run so hot they had to shut it off with the fuel shut off because the ignition wouldn't kill it. At one point it's hauled 5200lb I'm told. It's had everything replaced at least once with the exception of the gearbox. Anyway, I pretty much use it for pulling trees out of the woods and plowing the drive but while plowing it shut off on me abruptly. I couldn't get it started after that even though every now and again it would fire just once. I couldn't really find anything wrong but I thought the points my not be getting enough of a spark. I had cleaned them up hoping that would fix the problem but it didn't. I just bought a new plug and set of points today and I'm actually having problems getting this new set of points to generate a decent spark. A couple times I got a spark and it almost started but it's not sparking every time. I'm really new in the mechanical areas unlike my family. I'm a computer technician so I feel that I have the right thought processes but no experience on this type of thing. I had a migraine most of the day so I had to stop playing around but I plan on looking at it again tomorrow. Any ideas of what I could be doing wrong? I accidentally flooded it at one point so I know it's getting fuel. I also emptied the carburetor in case there was water in it. Thanks for all your help in advance!

x106
Well last night when I left the tractor I didn't have either the new or old set of points on. This morning I decided to try what Willy mentioned with the old set of points (because they were sparking I just thought it may not be enough). Well I noticed two things - the first is that the throttle for whatever reason was not relaxing and closing. At the same time with all my fiddling I found that if I force my choke completely off the cable will pull through the eye that the cable goes through. It could use another 1/4 inch to its length. So, in total I drained the carb, replaced the spark plug, re-attached the choke, adjusted the throttle tension springs, adjusted the original points and now it's running like a champ. I really doubt the choke cable disconnected while I was plowing my drive (and went straight to full) but other than that I'm not sure what exactly I did to fix it. I'm guessing it was water in the carb.