Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
x106

very loose steering

x106
I have a B-10 that was passed down to me from when my father was a kid. I don't know how difficult of a job this is but I would love to tighten up the steering. Since it's snow plowing season I'm running into times where the front tires bite in and immediately steer right or left. Also when I was cutting grass I would run into a dip or a hole and the same thing happens. There is a good 1/4-1/3 turn of slop on the steering and that's basically enough to go from straight to almost full either right or left. I can definitely live with it as is but one concern of mine especially in the snow is that I'm doing damage as these tires bite in and turn hard left or right while I'm still going straight. It would be easier to force the tires to go straight if I had more control with the steering.

Willy
The first thing you need to know is where the slop is. Move the steering wheel back and forth enough to take up the slack and and see where its loose. Things to look for are the drag link,it can be taken up by removing the cotter pins and tightening the plug in the end. The steering gear is also something that loosens up usually due to wear on the bushings and bearings.you'll need to remove the panel on the right side to get a good look a it.This operation is a little more work.You'll need to remove it to rebuild it. The stud that holds the flat gear on is also an eccentric you may get by just abjusting that. One other thing is the bushings that the front axel pivots on they get sloppy but wouldn't cause that much slop.

MPH
With that much play first thing I'd look at is the universal joint connecting the steering post to the steering gear, maybe one of the 3/8's bolts fell out. I've learned it don't hurt to check them now and again.;)

Allis_HB112
If your eccentric pin and bushing is worn, I have a rebuild kit available for $25 shipped. Simplicity's bushing alone is over $10! I JUST finished a small production run on those pins. They are better than the originals, and so is the replacement bushing (Oilite). The set screw holding the pin in failed on mine and trashed the pin, along with the hole in the block. I had to open the hole by 1/64" to clean it up. Dirtmister16 has the 1st kit coming that I've sold. If your interested contact me at wbroot@zoho.com But that's just one of the MANY problems I had with my steering. But that's where MOST of my slop was. Other than the axle wishbone mount was not even on the tractor, so that was a whole different problem, but not. Everything was repaired or replaced on mine, and Oilite bushings put where there were none. Sometimes being a toolmaker has it's advantages, but then it's easy to get carried away, also.