Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Wonder IF

MPH

Snow blowin at 10-15 below had anything to do with my new belt I installed yesterday only lasting 3-4 hours of use? Snapped clean out on the trail just steady blowing in 6-7 inch drifted snow, 1st gear, WOT. First pass out there in awhile, not fun getting the rest of the way back to the yard.

Marty, I don't know if the temperature had anything to do with it; but clearing snow at 10 to 15 below zero is just crazy. Good thing you have a cab. Rick.........

i would say bad (defective) belt getting home is never fun... good reason to have the bkup trktrs.. i understasnd as it was tons of fun towing my 312 with th broken rod back to the barn all by myself... thank god for older machines without seat safety switces.. one man.. two tractors.. running between two steering wheels.. i bet funny to watch...

I dont see the temperature as a problem, if there is no damage other than a clean break I'd say bad belt. My 3416H with 42" blower has snapped every non Simplicity belt I have tried on it, the engine starts lugging and BANG, there goes the belt. The current Simplicity belt is in it's third or fourth season.

quote:
Originally posted by MPH
This was a Simplicity belt. Maybe Brenda send me on made in China when I ordered my last spare.:D:D
I sure hope your wrong about that.

im sure simplicity belts are great but NO BELT should snap at 4hrs... NOS belts are worthless as they age... btw... i did this and my dad corrected me and stated that "on the line" replacement belts were discarded yearly... i guess there is a life to them... this was researched by Carrier corp. UTC... talked to dad... To: chris The statement could be read to imply a one year old belt was trashed……..???? Although they tossed belts every year, the belts could have been 5 yrs, 10 yrs old……I don’t know the actual toss-out age. N”O”S belts have no defined age and imply “OLD”, therefore, should be avoided. end quote: go figure... not to imply you have NOS but apparently age is an issue as well as mfg ... good luck as ive not clue what you or your tractors endure....

I think the V-belts ain't what they used to be in the 1960 to 1980's they would stand up, but now they don't. Them China ones are inferior quality...Good Luck..