Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

725 plowing

osenga

Was out plowing the drive with the 725 today . I have a 23D on it now and was going at it for about 45 mintues at about 3/4 throttle and it started sputtering bad had to choke it about all the way to keep it going. Once I got it back into the shop . It has gas on the bottom side of carb, So it sound to me like the float is sticking or maybe some thing got it to it. guess time to take off and give it a good cleaning . Anything I am missing here ?

The float could be sticking, The float could be leaking, The needle/seat could be bad. I would put a kit and or a float in it as well as cleaning.

The fuel on the bottom of the carb probably came from full choke If it only would rum with choke then it's running very lean look for blockage in high speed curcuit

mine was kinda doing the same thing 23D in early B-10 I did a search on surging and one question i have for you is how much gas did you have ? what I read was that it could be some dirt got in to the carb.

Check your valve clearances. As the engine gets hotter the valve stem gets longer. The clearance keeps the valve sealing when this happens. Insufficient clearance and the valve will not seal after long run times. When the valve starts leaking, the mixture will get leaner and you will need to choke the engine to keep it running. Had this problem on my 13 Hp B/S. Filed the clearance back to spec and it now does not change when it gets heated up.

Thanks guys for the input i am going to do rebuild on carb and a good cleaning on it and then if that dont help I will have someone check out the valve 's out for me I not into work the internal parts of the motors yet

Don't feel too bad about that. The valve access is a little bit of a bother on the 23D}:) If choking produces a correction, I would first go for the rich mixture adjustment. Surging is primarily lean mix. The carb is sensitive to having just the right level of float also. I must have taken mine out half a dozen times to get the float set(of course I am picky:p)