Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
Timothy

increasing the width of a snowblower

Timothy
Has anyone increased the width of their snwoblower by add extensions to it? I have a Legacy, which has a 48" width at the rear wheels. The blower is 47" wide. Would like to increase the width of cut to 53". Any ideas are very welcomed. Tim

UCD
The spec's on the Legacy XL width are 2wd 44.75" wide and the 4wd is 47.25" . I have a Legacy XL 4wd with a 47" blower and it clears wider than the tire tracks. I have 12 walkways to clean The shortest is 50' the longest is 150' and I have to back out of each one of them. I also have 2 200' walking trails to do and the blown path is wider than the tire tracks. Blowing one of the walking trails after storm Feb 05 2011. You can see there is plenty of room both sides of the rear wheels

One of the walkways, again plenty of clearence between tire tracks and side of banks

Timothy
Which Width tires are on your tractor? My are 26-12x12 ag tires that give me a outside width of 48". In deep drift the outside edge of my tires are running in the snow. That is why I am looking to widen the cut of the blower. Thanks

Timothy
Simplicity listed that my tractor would have 23" tires, when received it had the 26" tires, that is where the added width comes from, having measured the width of the rear more than once. That is why I would like a wider cut on the snow blower. UCD nice looking set up. Thanks

UCD
What exact model is your tractor? you say it was supposed to come with 23x10.5-12 tires that tells me according to the manuals it is a 20 HP Kohler Width: 40.5” even with 26x12-12 tires would not make it 48" wide. Have you checked that spacers have not been added to the rear axles? Also the wheels might have been reversed changing the offset. Specs copied from Legacy operators manual TP-100-2087-14-LG-SMA Rev. 3/2003 TP-100-2087-14-LG-SMA Legacy DIMENSIONS 25 HP Kohler & 20 HP Kawasaki Height : 51” Width: 44.75” Length: 78.75” Wheel Base: 55” Weight with 60” Mower: 1125 lbs Cutting Width: 60” Cutting Height: 1”-5” Front Tires: 18x8.5-8 Rear Tires: 26x12-12 Turning radius: 26” 20 HP Kohler Height : 49.5” Width: 40.5” Length: 77.75” Wheel Base: 55” Weight with 48” Mower: 1050 lbs Cutting Width: 48” Cutting Height: 1”-5” Front Tires: 16x7.5-8 Rear Tires: 23x10.5-12 Turning radius: 26”

jmhusby
I think it would be easier and cheaper to put rear tires and rims like they use on the 4 X 4's. My neighbor has them on his 585 JD and he gets good traction on them. Would be quite a task to try and widden a blower as wings don't work at all.