Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

no start - briggs 16 hp

mike_sdak

Over the past year, I have been working on my 917 repower with a briggs 16hp. I have finally finished the wiring, but it won't start for me. It has battery ignition and points. First thought is no fuel. I know fuel is at least reaching the carb, as the fuel drips out of a hole in the bottom of the carb when flooded. Is this normal for the briggs carbs? Next thought is spark. I replaced the plug and coil wire. I tested the coil with my multimeter, and I think it is good: (+) to (-) = 3.1 ohms Center terminal to (-) = 8000 ohms, approx. Each terminal had infinite resistance to the case. I think the coil is good. I pulled the plug, and cranked it while holding the base on the block. I didn't see spark or hear spark, though it was mid-day, so I could have missed it. I had previously gapped the points, (I think .020 or .025) about a year ago, but it hasn't been run since that time. I tried filing the points with a bit of 400 grit sandpaper - no avail. Thoughts? Start with new points and condensor? (they look pretty new to me, but...) Thanks in advance,

Bob, The magneto on the briggs was abandoned in-place by the previous owner, and converted to battery ignition. It ran when I bought it. I kept the kohler switch and wired the engine per some earlier discussion on this forum. I will see if I can post a wiring diagram soon. With the key on and engine off, I have 12 volts at the (+) terminal on the coil. I guess that is a good sign?

I think I'll run a test on the condensor with the multi-meter tonight. Out of curiosity, I see Al sells a "uni-kit" on his website. It is advertised as converting battery ignition motors to electronic ignition. Will this kit replace points and condensor for a battery-ignition motor? Just curious,

I don't know "AL's Uni-Kit" but I would think it is just a transistor for the magneto. If that is the case it would not work for a 12 volt system. As for your spark problem I would make sure the points open and close (check w/Ohms meter with battery disconnected). All you need to fire that coil is 12 volts and an intermittent ground (the points). I would also check the condenser for a short to ground by removing it from the system and seeing if spark returns, if it does the condenser is bad. Be advised DO NOT RUN the motor with out the condenser, the points cannot take it and will be fried! You should just try it for a moment! Good luck! Bob