Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
chris1044

68' B110 resto...newbie here

chris1044
Newbie checking in...good to see other people appreciate this old iron as well. I've got a 68' B110 that I'm just starting to tear apart for a restoration. The tractor was purchased new by my grandfather with the mower deck and the HD plow blade (wouldn't mind adding a blower to it). It's been sitting for the last 10 years and is pretty beat from use over the years. I plan to freshen up the engine (not sure if the valves are adjustable??), re-paint it, fix the major steering slop, etc. So, here are my preliminary questions...there will be many many more to come, I'm sure... 1) Decals - would like them to be there, and right now taping them off is the only thing I know of that will allow me to keep them..there aren't any reproductions out there, right? 2) Gas tank - the one on it is rusted out internally, bad. I can try to cut/reform another bottom half and graft it to the top, but before I go to that extent, are there any replacements out there? What else fits? There's a 2012 simplicity one for sale right now in the classifieds section, but I don't know enough about these to know what is interchangeable... 3) Rear brake "shoe"....the one on the tractor is fairly worn and de-laminated half way around..replacements?? 4) Engine: How much compression is spec? I've already got this one torn apart (well, flywheel/ignition system off, carb off, cylinder head off). Everything looks great - no scuffs on the cylinder walls, valve seats look good, etc. But, I've only got 85psi dry and 95psi wet (so the rings are somewhat worn). If spec is 95psi, I may just put it back together and call it good. 5) Ignition system: Points and condenser...anyone know of a solid-state upgrade available?? May go about making one if I can't find one out there. FWIW, I'm an engineer by trade, mechanic in my former life and work on everything with a motor I own. I've restored motorcycles and cars, but this is my first tractor...I figure if I can get away with 500 into it, I'm much better off than those Chinese "tractors" they sell at home depot and the like. Thanks for the help, Chris

HubbardRA
Chris, Welcome to the club! There are many on this site who will help you with your questions. If you need detailed answers about fixing some of the pieces on the tractor, it will be helpful is you spend the $10 to become a member, then you can post pictures for us to see when you ask the question about a part. On a B/S engine the only way to adjust the valves is by filing off material. The good thing is that after years of operation the valve seat gets warn farther into the block and the clearance gets much less. I have had to file off material on several engines to prevent mixture change and loss of power even quitting from the valve stem expanding when the engine gets hot and not sealing properly. Decals for a B110 should be available from several sources, I am sure some others can help you with this. I haven't purchased any for one of these tractors, so I don't know the exact people to contact. There are gas tank sealer kits you can buy. I have seen people build new bottoms for the tanks. I usually just look around at some old box store tractors and find a plastic tank that will fit into my tractors. Mine are all workers, not show machines, so originality on a gas tank is not as important to me as having one that doesn't leak. I am pretty sure the brake band is still available. You can check with some of the site sponsors like Jack's Small Engines or Sandy Lake. If not, you can replace the lining with a leather strip attached with contact cement. I did this on a cone clutch for my AC716H last fall and the clutch worked great. If there is no ridge in the cylinder and no scuffs, I would just sand or hone it slightly and put in a new set of stock rings. I am not sure what the compression should be because I have never tested it on any of mine. Just remember that B/S has "easy spin" which is a small bump on the exhaust lobe of the camshaft that opens the valve slightly and bleeds off compression at low turning speeds to assist in engine starting. That will yield a lower compression when tested from the starter than it will really have at operating speeds. There are a couple ways to replace points. There are a couple companies that make electronic points replacement units.. Some people have good luck with them some don't. You can also the entire ignition/coil assembly with a B/S Magnetron unit like was used from the factory on later model engines. This requires re-polarizing the flywheel. At last I heard B/S will supposedly do this for free if you send them the flywheel. Hope this helps some. I am sure that others can fill in the blanks.

brockway
Hey Chris welcome to the club be careful these things become addicting.I have used maple hunter for my source for decals they do a great job without breaking the bank.I paid 48 bucks for the set on my b110,it came with every decal that was on it.They look great.

OrangeMetalGuy
Best decals I've seen: [url]http://clickitandstickit.com/[/url]. Very heavy vinyl, actually a heavy (thick) sticker not a decal that you would wet and apply. I've used them on two restorations and recommend them. Should be able to get the brake shoe from a Simplicity dealer or online.

larry8200
Welcome to the Club! The B series were built by Simplicity, and many mechanical parts are still available, though some are pricey. You can get the correct Simplicity model number here: http://www.simpletractors.com/X-reference/ac_s_pg1.htm and download parts and operation manuals from Simplicity. If there isn't a good dealer in your area there are several good online, You can find them on this sites homepage. eBay is a great source for used parts. Hope to see pictures.

Talntedmrgreen
I've used maplehunter and loved the results, but am currently looking for another source, just to try out and see how they look. I was initially hesitant about paying for a forum, but on this site, it is well worth the money. There are so many resources available to members, that it really pays off, especially if you're doing a restoration, or begin getting into the many, many attachments that these things utilize. My restoration was a '68 B110 as well, and the tractor was my grandfather's so I'm excited for you and your project! I rebuilt the machine with him, during what ended up being his last winter. We converted his wood shop into a spray booth and he insisted on turning it AC Orange like the larger AC tractors of his past. I've now been using that tractor constantly for the last 13 years. No problems whatsoever, and I've been adding implements as I find them. Here's a pic with a Simplicity 101 I picked up last week.
[img]http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff512/talntedmrgreen/IMAG0062.jpg[/img]
}:)

chris1044
Thanks for the replies guys...Talntedmrgreen, excellent picture - I envy you're blower; how's the B push snow? I picked up some A/C yeller paint earlier this weekend along with some flat black engine paint. I still need to pick up some cream for the wheels/accents. Will likely go with maplehunter for the decals as they're not too expensive and they're the most complete set I've found. HubbardRA - thanks for the detailed response. I haven't decided whether I'm going to do a full tear down of the engine or not - it does have a minor ring ridge in the cylinder, but there aren't any scuffs at all. Now knowing that it's an easy start engine, I may just clean the carbon off the valve face's and the piston, change the oil and call it good. I do want to upgrade the ignition...we'll see what my time allows. Worst case I can do it next winter. I found a brake band, so that'll be ordered once I finish tearing it down this weekend and have a total parts list (steering is somewhat loose, and I've got a mower deck with a few bad bearings (hopefully that's it)). On the gas tanks, mine is beyond a repair kit - I was able to solder some of the holes up, but it's too far gone. I'll need a replacement unit or have to do some fabrication. I intend on this thing being a work tractor, so the tank doesn't have to be show quality. I'm sure I'll have more questions later this weekend...until then, thanks for the responses.

Talntedmrgreen
The B110 pushes snow like a tank. I ahve a blower for it, but haven't used it in 5 years. It's a fun tractor and mine is still running on points and magneto with no issues. All my other tractors have been converted to a coil & battery ignition. Gas tanks are easy to come by, and I usually have an extra laying around. I'll look. Just need one that isn't too rusty inside...that crap flakes off at the worst times and clogs stuff up. Keep us posted on your progress.

Chris727
The 2012 tank is the same as yours. When it comes to large frame foot draggers, the only ones that used a different tank were the Simplicity 700/725 and the Allis B-1. The tanks interchange between all the others.

chris1044
Had a chance to work on the engine some this weekend. I'm fairly certain that I have no idea how the governor springs/linkages go as I'm fairly certain they were on wrong when I took them off. I'm also not sure if the valves have excessive lash - I've got .006" from the lifter to the valve (with the valve closed) on the intake side, and .015" on the exhaust... I think I'm going to stick with the points/condenser for simplicity and the fact that I need to speed this project up...springs going to be here before I know it...BUT, while I was cleaning the engine block (with a die grinder/roloc disc) I bumped into the mechanism that moves the points in/out as the engine rotates...am I in trouble with this now?? May have removed at most 1/16th of an inch, tops.... Thanks, Chris