Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
JeffNemes

4040 Flywheel

powerking_one
Jeff, What do you mean by the "inner winding ring" on the flywheel? The flywheel just has a ring of magnets on it. The stator is fixed to the cam gear cover and has the windings. Tom (PK)

JeffNemes
At present I am only peering inside it from removal of the side tins. It looks like a circular greenish ring has loosened out of the flywheel. Are the magnets coated in a "greenish" substance?

JP
Hi Jeff, Long time, no hear! From my point of view, the magnets in the flywheel generally never fail on CCKA's. This is much more predominate in the CCKB's. What DOES happen from time to time is the stator screws (Not loctited) backout & get wrapped up with the flywheel. They usually take out the stator (Hard to come by..) and sometimes the timing cover. Let us know what you find when you get it apart@ sm03

JeffNemes
Oh wow - so it really is supposed to be similiar to a Briggs stator setup! Now that I took a second look in the daylight it is exactly what you said JP. The stator screws backed out and the flywheel sucked it in. Definetly something to check for preventive maintenance! Do you think there is any hope of removing the flywheel without damaging the rest of the stator and mounting screws?

JP
Jeff, Looking at your picture... Looks like a CCKB flywheel. The magnet cage has become loose & started to 'creep' towards the motor. When you move the flywheel, does the stator move with it? IF... It does not, you 'might' stand a chance.. What I have done for customers is (w/flywheel off) to 'gently' (?) heat the flywheel & remove the magnet cage. If none of the magnet plates are loose (I check with a drum brake spoon adjuster). Clean impeccably, clean up the magnet cage so it will press back in. THEN get some hi-temp epoxy, press it back together. Face east bow three times & repeat in a westerly direction.... IF... it does, see if you can remove the old stator w/out damaging the magnet covers. Then do the above, afterwards facing south... Stators for CCKB's are readily available, Flywheels are not! Reverse this for the CCKA's. Let us know how you fare... JP