Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

briggs ring set

gwiseman

Tore into a 243431 last night and found mangled cam gear, crank stamped 020, broken top ring, and newer looking rod and piston that is stamped 030. Cylinder wall looks good, valves seem to seat well, and its obvious the engine has run hot probably before being rebored. Dont plan to make it a workhorse but it will have to mow a little grass, move dirt and maybe some snow. Just making sure: I should order 30 over ring set correct?

You will want to checK for a ridge at the top of the bore. If you do have one, like I did on both my 302xxx and 326xxx, you may just smash/trash the new rings in short order as soon as you fire it up. I will be checking my rod clearance since a sloppy rod will allow the rings to crash into the ridge. That may also be why I have broken rings. At a minimum you would remove the ridge... I am going to bore both mine.dOd

Trust me it will be cheaper to buy another block that's standard and rebuildable or watch for a hole complete engine on eBay or craigslist and the classifieds here.I always get a small pile of cash into these over bored can't get parts for 243431.You cant get piston or rings over .20 because Briggs havent made them in years now but .20 is still made.I might have a standard block in barn if you are interested let me now.I think you can still get standard pistons and rings but I think I might check on that to. nick

Thanks guys. I'm scrapping the bored block! I forgot that 0030 nla until Chris replied. Nick-thats what I'm going to do. I have a standard block sitting on the shelf that was going to go to scrap b/c threads in exhaust port are smooth. Not sure if the machine shop can get me enough thread in that one to get a nipple started but guess its worth a try. Thoughts?

http://www.hastingsmfg.com/RingFinderIndividualRingsDetails.aspx?AppMACD=3.0925 I have not torn mine down yet, so I don't know the ring width's yet. Nothing here of interest for the +30?