Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

OK FDT guys...need advice

SmilinSam

How do you footdragger guys keep the manual lift lever from coming unhooked when you have the front blade locked up? I find the catch always popping off and the blade dropping back onto the ground when backing up for another run into the snowC.

Hmmm...sounds like the spring in your handle is shot, or you just need some lube. Make sure nothing is bent, tweeked, etc. I've had them get sticky, and not want to latch well, but never to the extent that WD40 wouldn't fix it.

Sam, either the quadrant or the latch or both are worn. I hit the back edge of the quadrant and the bottom of the catch with a 4" grinder to "square" them up or give them sharper edges. Then they generally hold fine. Sometimes the handle will get bent a little so the quadrant is not centered in the catch too. If that is the case, the catch doesn't always drop far enough. Either lean in on the handle or tug out sideways whichever is needed. It doesn't take much I have one catch here so bad there is a groove worn into it, gonna have to weld that one ;)

I had the same problem. Turns out that the latch wasnt centered on the catch. With a cresant wrench I bent the catch and centered it to the latch. No probs after that.

Great advice guys, Thanks Will get to work on it after I return from BoBs Pizza meet this weekend.. Goat.... I dont have one wah ..really dont want one either though8D I just got the tractor back together. I really dont want to take it apart again anytime soonXX(

Pins alright for distance road transport in the up position, but for temp working position it would be a pain to take it out and put it in constantly. I may do something really radical though. I thought about taking a notched lift quadrant off an RBT and marrying it to the lower half of a FDT quadrant, cutting and welding accordingly to fit right. Then adding a catch and catch lock from a 3300 series RBT to the lift lever. Sounds interesting anyhow^