Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
Simplicity314

Rear hub or axle problem

Simplicity314
I was looking at my '64 LL straight on, and noticed a camber to my right rear wheel. I lifted the fender and shook it and there is some play. Jacked it up and the play is the same in all directions. Looked at the parts break-out and saw there is no wheel bearing--just a collar and a washer. The tube wasn't broken, so I'm at a loss to what it might be. A broken axle crossed my mind, but the wheel turns fine under power, and spins when on the ice--seems normal while driving. Any thoughts would be appreciated since I want to get it to the shed before I tear into it, and it doesn't look like that's happening till the end of march with all the snow lol. Thanks.

dentwizz
Is the play at the wheel or the transmission? The bushings in the transmission case are replaceable. The bushings in the RH hub are another matter. That is the hub with the two bolts at an angle(just to make sure RH is RH). The other side without the fancy hardware seems to characteristically come loose and wear its hole unless it was kept tight from new. I welded mine onto the axle to eliminate that problem. Extreme, but the newer ones did that from the factory.