Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

turf tires?

mroman59

I have a 6216 and 7117H with "turf" tires. They are both the same tread design, which most of you probably are familiar with. Both tractors were mfg. in the 1980's. I noticed that some of you have put on a newer tread design than the original, by your photos. I believe you can still get the same old design for replacement, however most lawn mowers and garden tractors today have newer tread designs now a days. Does anyone have an opinion on how you like the newer tread designs over the original turf design? Is there a noticeable difference in comfort, ride or traction? One of my tractors may be due for new set and I am trying to figure out which type to purchase. Thanks, MR

Original tires on all my tractors were Carlisle Turf Savers:

I've replaced several sets with Carlisle Turf Masters:

Like the new Turf Masters much better, they have much more traction, not as slick as the old tires. But I have a feeling the main difference is that the new tires are NEW. They have much softer rubber than the old hard, checked 30+ year old tires.

Your Carlisle Turf Savers are the same design as mine. It would be nice to have more traction on my hill. Thanks for the information. I will look into Carlisle Turf masters when its time to buy. Anyone else with newer tires you like over the Turf Savers, please let me know. MR

ive been agonizing over the Turf Savers vs the Turf Masters first, I like the sharp edge look of the Savers... Do the masters have "hollowed out lugs" if you know what I mean?? a tractor I picked up recently had new turf savers on the front.. definately much softer than the originals I have on all the others...

Maybe PhanDad can educate us on the "hollowed out lugs", because I have no idea what you are referring too. I am interested in the ply of the tires, also. I purchased some ATV mud tires by Carlisle and set up extra rims from eBay, which I use for snow plowing. They really do the job and no need for chains. They are 6 ply. I didn't know what chains would do to my cement driveway, but others seem to plow with them in my neighborhood without a care. So maybe I wasted my money, I already had the chains, but they always seemed to be a hassle to put on and I had to use bungie cords to keep them on. I also got a heavy duty 1/2" rubber strip from a local rubber shop, free from their scrap pile. I mounted the strip of rubber on the end of my plow and it scraps the drive way clean without damage to the cement. Again, maybe just a project done for nothing. I am sure those ATV tires provide plenty of traction. I could not use mine because they are more like AG tires and put ruts in the ground, not to mention the bumpy ride on the grass. If I ever plant a huge garden, they will come in handy and since I bought a snowblower, they are just collecting dust.

I find the ATV's work for me 'cause: I only have one flat/open area of lawn(never had a problem with ruts or turning) - the rest(3/4's) of the yard is either on a slight or bigger incline - these tended to grip better at a slower speed in the inclines around trees and other landscaping and really help if the incline ground is water laden. If I had a golf-course it would be the Savers and second choice would be the masters - Chris

If I were to put money down on tires it would not be turf's. They really do nothing very well IMO. I have ag's on the back and the Turf Masters on the front. They would be replaced if they weren't new from the PO. They work poorly in snow and in any type of sticky dirt. I would look at the v61's for the front and atv's or ag's in the rear. Depending on your tractor usage. The tires you decide on can change the resale of the tractor. Here's a pict of the v61's, I haven't tried them yet to see if they will hurt the lawn, anyone know?

So do the Carlisle HD field trax come in a 6" rim. It looks like 8" is the smallest they go. This wouldn't work for his 6216 but would work on the 7117, right? It has the 8" front rims?

i have the v61s in an 18 8.50 8 on the front of the green one and they dont leave any marks in my yard and even though that machine has power steering it semms to take less effort to turn them imo...

quote:
Originally posted by sbull78
i have the v61s in an 18 8.50 8 on the front of the green one and they dont leave any marks in my yard and even though that machine has power steering it semms to take less effort to turn them imo...
this is good information, i have been wonder if they would leave marks. thanks

The v61's aren't necessarily a turf tire but yet they seem to be able to transition from dirt, snow and lawn. Working equally well in all applications. Would you guys conceder this a true statement?

could you post a picture of the V61s on your tractor? I see Deere use those a lot, but I don't remember seeing them on a Simplicity or Allis before. I know on big tractors those flatter tires seem to slide around in the field; what about on the lawn?
quote:
Originally posted by hotrodtractor
I have the v61's love them would never buy anything else for the front

When I started this thread I did not know I would get so many opinions. I like the Turf Master look and Phandad claims he has more traction with them than the Turf Savers, so I will trust his judgement. I don't know if I will go with the Carlisle name brand, there has to be other manufactures with similar design. My neighbor has a John Deere with a similar style on his tractor, but I dont know who makes them yet. I will make sure they are at least 4 ply as Phandad stated. I like my tractor tires in the from to match the back, crazy I know!

Those v61s do look pretty good on that! I also like all those weights hanging off of it too! I also like the tread to match in both the front and back as long as they have the same style of tire. But I think you guys may have convinced me to switch to the V61s up front. SO
quote:
Originally posted by ezliving4ume
This isn't my b-10 but its a nice one. He has the v61's on the front with ag.'s on the back. This is my favorite b-10.
[img]/Club2/attach/ezliving4ume/b-10.jpg[/img]