Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
samson

Shuttle drive

rokon2813
Its a mechanical system on the side of the transmission that acts like a hydro. Quoted from Simplicity "4-speed Shuttling Drive gives you 4 speed ranges in forward or reverse. Instant reversing in any speed range without clutching" They take reverse out of the tranny and add a 4th gear. I have no idea how it works though

larry8200
It uses a planetary reverser and a split pulley. When you push the shuttle lever forward the small belt locks the split pulley and you go forward. With the lever in the center a brake band keeps the pulley from turning and acts as a brake if it's in gear. Pulling the lever to the center will stop the tractor in 3-5' on level ground and keep it there. When you pull the lever back it (I think) engages a damper that keeps the split half from turning, engaging the planetary reverser. The pulley is split under the small belt. Some love it, a lot hate it, IMO it's kind of high maintenance and works great if you keep it carefully adjusted.

ardisam
When you move the lever forward, the small belt tightnes up, if it locks it isn't going any where. When you pull the lever to netural the belt gets lose. By pulling the lever back to reverse the bandbrake tightnes up around the plantary gear making go in reverse. I had one of these trannys in a Simplicity 7114S(bought it cheap, some must abuse the rear because the axle was cracked and the fourth gear was just rounded off. Like Larry said, they act like a hydro, but depends on how you treat them. And the I got was not treated right. But the tractor is hydro rearend that I got for $100, sold the shuttle for $95.

HubbardRA
I have a shuttle that I mow my lawn with. I have only adjusted the linkages twice in the last four years. I like the shuttle for mowing my smaller lawn that has quite a few things to mow around. The transition from forward to reverse and back is much smoother than the similar transition on my hydro tractor. The shuttle is a 4 speed tractor. There is no variability of speed with the shuttle lever, just in and out of gear. To change speeds you must shift gears. Also you must always keep in mind that reverse is basically the same speed as the forward speed. If you are running in 4th gear and decide to back up, hang on because it will go backward at a rapid speed. Most of my mowing is in second which makes reverse the same as reverse on a 3-speed which has reverse the same as second gear. The only time that I see a shuttle as a disadvantage is when pulling heavy loads. The shuttle drive belt will not lock up as solidly as the one on a 3-speed and may slip at a lower load. I have always used either a hydro or 3-speed when I needed to drag or tow a very heavy load.