Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Mid-Mount Grader Question

grnlark

I have a mid mount grader blade for my 2010 that is identical to the one pictured below (I hijacked this pic from another post by Simplicity85 - hope you don't mind...). My question has to do with the upright 'U' brackets on each side. The grader blade I have does have these brackets, but up until I saw this picture in another thread, I've never seen them before. What's the deal with them? What were they used for? They seem a bit spread out to be foot rests...? I was always unsure if my grader blade was in fact a Simplicity because of these brackets.

I think the bracket version of the grader blade is newer. Made to use with Running Board Tractors, so you can add downforce with your feet in the stirrups. My early blade does not have them, and when on the Big Ten I can apply downforce anywhere on the blade, due to the lack of running boards.

quote:
Originally posted by thedaddycat
Those are foot brackets so you can add some down pressure to the blade....
That's what I initially figured. They're pretty spread out though. I just want to restore mine for asthetics - not for actual use, so I might eliminate them like the older version.

I think they are spread for two reasons, one so you can still apply down pressure on a rbt EVEN with the blade angled and also so you can get the pressure at the end of the blade where it could apply the most force to that corner. Dan

quote:
Originally posted by grnlark
quote:
Originally posted by thedaddycat
Those are foot brackets so you can add some down pressure to the blade....
That's what I initially figured. They're pretty spread out though. I just want to restore mine for asthetics - not for actual use, so I might eliminate them like the older version.
Just unbolt the bar and they come off. Just dont throw them out! Us RBT guys like themdOd

• 1 month later...
quote:
Just unbolt the bar and they come off. Just dont throw them out! Us RBT guys like themdOd
If anyone is interested, I have it listed in the classifieds section. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/classDetail.asp?id=17380