Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
78kitty

Slowing the Landlord 101 down

78kitty
I haven't tried it yet, but the 101 I just got seems like it will be too fast for tilling. I'm interested in the low speed pulley kit Simplicity offered. From what I've found in a search through old posts here it sounds like the kits had a 10" pulley for the 700 & 725's and the 10 HP's used a 8" pulley. My question is do I need to find a original pulley or can you buy a new aftermarket pulley and belt? Any info (where to buy, belt lengths needed, etc.) or tips on this would be appareciated!

RayS
I had the 10" on my B 10. Go to a Rural King or other farm store. I bought the pulley and weldable hub. Less than $20.00 out the door. http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/default.aspx?filename=heCBEN8cuG4rE3Cvh5kbp796Dq

TomSchmit
Since it does not appear that these 10" pulleys are common, I will buy from the best pulley vendor I have found so far. Phoenix has sizes up to 12": http://www.phoenix-mfg.com/acatalog/Steel_Drive_Pulleys_B_Type.html Tom

78kitty
Thanks for the info! I'm going to order a 10" pulley with 3/4" bore per the hand-written measurement of '0.751" bore' on the original Simplicity Pulley Kit brochure Ray linked to. If I ever get the 9hp Landlord going I might try putting the 8" on there and see if I can use the 8" all the time and just mow & drive around in 3rd instead of 2nd. We'll see! As for the belts from the link Ray sent and using gates cross reference tool it looks like
  • 8" Pulley uses Simplicity belt # 152017 that cross references to Gates # B42 which is 45" long x 0.66 (21/32") top width x 0.4625 (13/32") height
  • NOTE- There's a discrepancy here because the handwriting on the link says belt 152017 is 49" long and Gates lists the belt at 45"
  • 10" Pulley uses Simplicity belt # 155004 that cross references to Gates # 6949 which is 49" long x 0.66 (21/32") top width x 0.375 (3/8") height
  • Standard Pulley uses Simplicity belt # 154273 that cross references to Gates # 6942 which is 42" long x 0.66 (21/32") top width x 0.375 (3/8") height

rokon2813
The simplicity belt is 21/32 x 7/16 high FYI I have never seen an 8" low speed pulley, only the 10". I have 2 and I know the 49" B series belts work fine. They are not cheap when you go through 2 same day. :O I would recommend you dont back into anything sharp. The 10" pulley is right out to the back of the seat pan and a sharp edge on junk will cut the belt instantly. Don't ask me how I know this LOL :D:D:D

timflury
quote:
Originally posted by RayS
I had the 10" on my B 10. Go to a Rural King or other farm store. I bought the pulley and weldable hub. Less than $20.00 out the door.
I bought a set from my local TSC. I then went to my dealer and bought the proper belt. The pulley needs to be trued after welding. This can be done on the tractor carefully with a long screwdriver or a prybar

78kitty
Rokon... no questions asked, but I have an idea how you know! :D What is the "weldable hub"? I've never seen or heard of these before. Does that mean you buy the pulley and hub seperate then weld it yourself?

timflury
quote:
Originally posted by 78kitty
What is the "weldable hub"? I've never seen or heard of these before. Does that mean you buy the pulley and hub seperate then weld it yourself?
Yes! There are different shaft sizes and pulley widths and diameters. It's easier to stock these separately for the stores to sell. I put the 8" pulley on my LL late last fall before I put the tractor away for the winter. We'll see at tillin time how things work.