Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Not a broken rod on 312H

sammiefish

Hmmm strange... any ideas?? block can probably be salvaged... I thought for sure it was a broken rod and the skirt was damaged...

what in the world!! the crank is in good condition but a little under spec so that'll get ground for an undersized rod...

quote:
Originally posted by BMinor8806
The cause of that symptom is usually piston slap, did the engine have a slight knocking sound before it quit? Brandon
actually, It did have a very slight knock... although the crank journal is still nice, it is 4 thousands under spec

That's pretty cool, aside from the fact that your engine is in need of a rebuild now. I have never seen a failure like that, but I suppose if the piston were rocking around in there, it could fatigue it at the ring groove and pop the crown off. Tim

that is sorta one of my concerns... supposedly our fuel is 10% but my measurements show about 7-8%. run a little lean and the etoh : (
quote:
Originally posted by Willy
Probably all the high test gashol you guys get from Iowa, Poor old Kohlers just can't take it.^:D