Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
dav

...2 steps back

dav
this is a follow-up to my post labeled 'stuck valve?" from about 2 weeks ago. i took the head off the motor to find that both valves seemed to be operating correctly. but a lot of oil was riding on top of the rings. i decided to put the motor that i had reringed about 4 years ago on the tractor. the tractor is a Big Ten. the motors are, i think, a 23d for the old one, and a 243431 for the rebuilt. i'm not sure what's what because the old motor had rusted out sheet metal when i got it. i bought a rebuildable motor at brooklyn, ct (the very first tractor show i ever went to) just to use the sheet metal. i eventually reringed the donor and kept it around. meanwhile i acquired more shrouding from another donor to complete the job. removed the carb from the old motor to soak it in the gallon can of carb cleaner. when i opened the can, i discovered what i had done with the 3 screw carb i got (for $2) a year ago. the cleaner had done it's job...some of the bowl was so clean i couldn't even see it!! oh well, it was only 2 bucks. since i had destroyed the emulsion tube on the good carb while taking it out, i split what was left of the 3 screw carb with a Dremel and saved the tube. meanwhile, i put the good motor on the tractor. after hooking up the drive shaft and s/g, i put 2 quarts of oil in the sump. nothing had been visible when i started pouring but apparently i had put some oil in previously as 2 qts came right to the top of the tube. (the tractor is sitting on a slight slope which puts the oil filler at the high side) bad enough that i had too much oil, but it started leaking out at the joint between the base and the motor body. quickly drained a quart out to stop the leak. so today i made a bracket to mount to 2 head bolts to lift the motor. the drive shaft is disconnected and pushed back. i am going to hook my automotive engine hoist to the bracket. then i hope to unbolt the base and lift the motor almost straight up (got to slide forward to clear the drive shaft coupling), slide a new base gasket in and set 'er down. the way this project has been going, there will be another unexpected problem just around the corner. sorry i cant post pics but the computer is refusing to recognize the camera, again.

dav
i think murphy is off skiing somewhere. (down here it's water skiing!:D) the motor lifted until the fiber disc hit the support above it. undid the 2 bolts from the disc to the flywheel enough to be free of the motor but not to drop the hydro pulley. the motor came up like it was made to do so. when i assembled the motor years back, i was working on a desk and using grunt power to move the block onto the base. i slid the base gasket off the base, in spite of permatex. the reason i didnt see any oil in the crankcase is because it's clean oil!! glad i over filled it now before i had even more of it back together. permatexed both sides of the gasket before i lowered the block. i usually only goop one side when i assemble things but odds are good that i will never have to open up this motor again. so i'm where i was this morning. only one more part day to get it running for the Flywheeler's show this week.