Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Stuck Flywheel!!!!

sovereign72

Ok for two weeks now I have been hosing it with pb blaster and I have broken a 10" three claw gear puller as well as a harmonic balancer puller. I have heated it to glowing and used pb and a new gear puller with my impact and it is about ready to break, the shaft is bent from the torque of the impact and the flywheel wont budge. BTW this is a 15 hp cast iron engine. I have never had this much trouble getting anything off a shaft but i need the crank and flywheel to go into my other block. any suggestions would help. But I think ive covered all the bases already.

Ok, I havent tried that yet. Thanks. Since i couldnt get it off I decided to take off the oilpan and remove the piston and rod then measure the crankpin. If the crank wasnt in good condition I was going to scrap the whole thing, but much to my surprise the crank looked and measured like new so I have to get the flywheel off now. the rod wrist pin and pin bore all measured good too.

Like the picture Bob has above, I've always had good luck with my steering wheel puller. Took a flywheel off the other day and it wouldn't come off using the hammer trick (I was in a hurry) then had to go get my steering wheel puller and it came right off.

I heard dealers will leave the puller on over night and come back in the morning and smack it with a 5lbs hammer. Like what just about everyone is saying tension and a hammer.

Yesterday I removed a drive coupler from my 16hp Briggs. I used a three arm puller and a 2 lb hammer. If you have help have them put a little pressure on the puller screw and at the same time rap it with sharp blow. I couldn't move mine at all till I smacked it. Good luck.

This is the official puller. I have a similar tool. I haven't had a wheel that needed more then this. http://www.manddsmallengine.com/briggs/tools/19203.html

quote:
Originally posted by BLT
This is the official puller. I have a similar tool. I haven't had a wheel that needed more then this. http://www.manddsmallengine.com/briggs/tools/19203.html
That looks like a good heavy duty puller, I may invest on one.

Using a puller that centers on the shaft, like a 2 or 3 jaw puller, has a tendency to crush the flywheel onto the shaft and makes it harder to pull the flywheel because of the crush. A puller like the official Briggs pulls from the center of the flywheel, and it always takes less force to remove. That said, I normally use a 5# hammer and a couple of pry bars on the rim of the flywheel in unison. It always works, except for on flywheels with the starter ring gear attached