Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Briggs is shutting down...(SOLVED!...EZ Fix)

Talntedmrgreen

Here's the story...last week the machine ran fine (101, 15hp repower). It ran out of gas and since has not ran well. I went over to help, and we cleaned the tank, fuel lines, filter and rebuilt the carb. I discovered a leaking float and replaced it (thought that was the ticket). Fired up, tuned it and it ran like a champ for 10 minutes then shut off. Ever since, it will run a minute or two, then simply shuts off. I cannot find a wiring issue, and the engine ALWAYS starts right back up. It runs great throughout the throttle range, but the clock seems to be ticking, and it will shut off after a minute or two. Any ideas? I'm thinking a coil test is next...could it be going bad? Otherwise, I'm out of ideas. We're due for 8-12 inches today and tonite, and I'd like to get this Good Ole Boy back on his Landlord ASAP. Thanks guys!

couple things that come to mind. double check all your work no lines are collapsing? something may be getting hot and shutting it down. have you removed anything to help with cooling? could be a strange connection that changes with heat or cooling? also double clean your grounds. did you get a good seal on your gaskets?

Fuel cap is one thing I did not try...I will give him a call...good idea. Checked all the other easy stuff that came to mind, but when it comes to electrical...I dunno so much. I've had this carb back off several times, and everything is snug. I can't imagine a leak at this point. It's driving me nuts...was running great =[ 8 inches on the ground so far. I'm going to fire up the B110 and push some snow, but feel bad for this guy. I need to get it solved for him.

Take the gas line loose from the carb and see if you have a good flow if not check the screen in the tank,if you ran it out of gas you could have sludge blocking the flow. while setting enough fuel seeps through to start it but burns out right away. I remove the tank screens and use in line filters.

Tank screen is long gone...in line filter looked to be allowing a nice flow. After going through the fuel delivery system twice and flushing/air blasting, I'm not seeing where it could be plugged. I'm baning my head against a wall for not thinking of the gas cap thing when I was over there though...

some times when im plowing snow or leaves ;) lol. i've found a little rust break loose in the tank blocking the flow. check your fuel flow like others have said, mine clogs in the tank due to removing the brass screen.:(

I had one do that once it ended up being dirt in the fuelline elbow at the carb slowing the fuel flow down. I had never removed it when I rebuilt the carb. I do now though.

Problem solved...for inquiring minds it was the float I installed. Apparently, the tab where your needle spring hangs on the float may need to be bent, essentially adjusting the fuel flow at higher RPM. I've never heard of this, but a Good Ole Boy near home suggested it, and it did the trick. I had gone through the fuel system several times looking for a blockage, but this does make sense. The carb was cutting my fuel flow at the bowl.

Any time you put in a carb kit, you will need to re-adjust the float. When holding the carb upside down the float should sit level and parallel with the mating surface on the carb that the bowl attaches to.

Bingo...never had heard that before. Can't beleive I've never run into a problem, but on this rebuild I did borrow another float too, further compounding my problem. I've rebuilt a dozen of these B&S carbs recently, and never have had an issue... Thanks Guys! Josh