Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

HOMEMADE MUFFLERS

RonHatch

I don't know if anyone else had this idea or not. This muffler is cost effective (cheap)and easy to put together. I only tried the muffler on my modified WH because that has the snow plow.It seems to quiet things down pretty well with out lose of power. I'm looking forward to testing it out on my recently restored/rebuilt B10 in a couple of months.

Looks interesting, I would be interested in how the noise level is affected. Is it quieter than a regular pepper pot muffler? jh

Yes, it is quieter then a single pepper can muffler, by how much would be a guess with out a decibel meter. To carry this idea a little farther, I was thinking of putting something in between the cans the would absorb the sound waves without creating too much back pressure. Maybe marbles, coarse steel wool, or possibly pea gravel?? As soon as I empty a propane tank from my little torch, I'm planning on turning it into a muffler using a 1" pipe nipple and installing it on my CC 102. Of course it would be a fixed size unlike the pepper can idea. The one on the 857 has a 6" wide sheet metal sleeve and one on the B-10 is only 4" because of interference with the steering.

Here is one for a John Deere. Pretty much the same as the Simplicity excepts exits the side. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=360339391556&si=PwBw%252F%252B1q%252BSI1h7GWdf63Ijeyt3c%253D&viewitem=

Not quite sure I understand the objective here... Why not use a quieter muffler like one for a generator or even a Gravely style low resonance? I would think you'll have black soot marks and various exhaust leaks around the joints... And I'm always weary about any loose parts in the exhaust as well. Don't want a small bur from the rivet or steel wool or whatever falling to the exhaust or intake valve.

Steel wool won't rattle like gravel, or marbles. You could seal the seams with furnace cement, or similar. We used to make "steelpack" mufflers for our cars, by drilling a lot of holes in a steel beer can, cutting one end off, packing it with steel wool, and clamping it to the exhaust. Sounded like you think it would.....XX(

It's an interesting concept. I would think that if the metal was prepped properly it could braze together fairly well(unless heat was too high). One possibility for a reducer inside could be a turbulator plate like a washer with tabs cut and bent radially and positioned on the link bolt. Just a thought.

• 2 weeks later...
i just used this idea on my 738. the only difference was i used a 4 1/2" core bit for drilling concrete to join the two mufflers. i welded them together and it is super quiet. thanks for sharing, i would have never thought of that myself.

Thanks for the positive comments. I appreciate it. I enjoy coming up with ecumenical ideas to hopefully improve things. I just wish I had access to a small machine shop. One of my retirement gifts 4 years ago was the full use of the company's well equipped maintenance machine shop. Unfortunately they went out of business 2 years ago. A big bummer for everybody involved!