Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kevlar belts vs Simplicity kevlar

mroman59

I have a local rubber/hydraulic equipment supplier near my home. I have recently been getting my Kevlar belts from them and the price is a lot cheaper than the Simplicity dealer. If I bring in my belt number from simplicity he will cross reference it in his book and give me his suppliers belt, which is the exact dimensions, however I was wondering about the quality. Has anyone tried purchasing belts from non-simplicity suppliers and noticed a difference in quality, i.e. is Simplicity's supplier make better Kevlar belts or the same? Thanks, MR

Michael, This topic has been debated several times. Many members state that for any belt that runs on it's backside (snow-blower belt for example) one should only use Simplicity belts. The reasoning is Simplicity builds the belts to run on their backside and other manufacturers don't. That said, I know other members here run Kevlar belts and report no problems. For me I always run Simplicity belts, the dealer is right down the street and has always given me a good deal. I don't see any reason to go anywhere else. I have also never busted a belt. I did have the original belt on my deck go but I can't complain it must have been over thirty years old. Sorry not much in the way of an answer. Rick......

I run the napa equivilent. 70 plus for the snowthrower thru simplicity, 18-20 thru napa. Wears well. I bought 3 figured I was still cheaper off. Well in 3 years I am still running the first one. Gotta love when it works out.

the simplicity dealer isnt close to me either...however i have been using offbrand kevlar belts for a few years now from my local farm store and have yet to have one fail....i would like to use oem ones but not that accesible for me unless i want to pay shipping etc...and i use them for everything, tillers, snowblowers, decks, with no issues....

I use aftermarket (gates) belts for the BGB to transmission belts but the OEM do wear better. For some belts such as the variable speed belt on the foot draggers, there is no aftermarket belt available. I also like to use OEM belts on the mower decks and starter generator belts.

Depending on the application it can be deceptive. On the broadmoor 717 that I had for a while I found out that a lot of the part-number OEM belts were not inch increments. A couple were more like xx.5". On some items that may be an issue, others it is not as critical. In a pinch most things can use a modern quality Kevlar v-belt like what comes from Tractor Supply company. They rate their belts for backside uses. The Simplicity OEM are distinctly better in the longevity in my opinion however. In things like the transmission-bgb belt, there is a profile difference between the generic and OEM which works on my dad's 2210 but not on my slightly more worn 9hp pulleys.

If you have an Industrial Suppy House in your area go there and get them to match up a belt.They'll have different grades usually pays to buy the best one which will be much better than a place like TSC carries.Top grade industrial belts are made for very severe applications.

I am not sure what you mean by "backside". I am thinking you are talking about belts that require idler pulleys in which the backside will ride. On my 7117H the deck belt, PTO belt and tiller belt all have idler pulleys. The drive belt from BGB to pump does not. When I go to the rubber supply house, I always get the heavy duty Kevlar, but from now on I will ask them if they are rated for backside use also. I know what you mean about the off size belts by usually 1/2". Hard to find them when you go to buy them. Simplicity prob designs them like this on purpose. Those "off" sizes I buy simplicity unless I think the 1/2" difference is not critical. I have no issues with any of my non- simplicity belts, except the PTO belt. It wearing on the sides prematurely and I am in the process of trying to determine cause. I don't think it is the belt, maybe a pulley has nick somewhere or possibly the oil seal leak on that side of the gear box is getting on the belt and causing wear. I am replacing the oil seal soon and will inspect the pulleys at the same time.

Jay-Dee Enterprises has about any belt you'd need online also.I've been buying belts from them for various applications and the belts have held up well.

Gary, thanks for the link for Jay-Dee. I have not checked out their prices yet, however I did notice two types of belts. The first is the Dry fabric wrapped FHP V-Belts with Kevlar cord, which they recommend for lawn mowers, etc. and are suitable for backside idler. I have noticed the type I have buying lately come in that color, but the Simplicity belts I have bought are always gray/black. Not sure if that means too much. The second one is the Conventional V-Belts that appear to be better because they are oil and heat resistance, but they dont mention anything about backside use. Which ones do you use for tractor use? Thanks, MR

Michael, When I stated that a belt may run on it's backside what I was trying to say was the belt makes a turn or a bend around a pulley with the backside (or outside) of the belt on a pulley. Try this, picture the letter S; if a belt were to try and follow the shape of the letter, one pulley (on the inside of the belt) would be needed to make one of the bends. Another pulley on the outside of the belt would be needed to make the other bend. Many belts are not able to bend in both directions (again the S shape) for long. The mid and front PTO are examples of this principle at work. I hope this clarifies things. Rick......

Any good belt can take an idler on the back side,if its a power application for the back side then there are double sided belts made that can be gotten from Industrial Supply places.