Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
bebbenga

What engines will fit in a 917 Hydro?

bebbenga
The 17 hp, 2 cyl., Kohler threw the camshaft out the side under heavy snowblowing conditions and I need to know what will bolt in there? Any one cylinders have the same foot print and close to throttle and choke cable hookups? any suggestions will help, so I can get one to replace it, Used! ,a s expect 15 more inches in March here in southern Minnesota (just had 11 inches this weekend). Thanks much!! Bryan

country
Quite a few. KT17 Kohler Magnums Kohler Magnum vertical shafts (MV18, MV20) with some modifications Single cylinder Kohlers Some Brigg with some ignition changes The only one I can really speak to is updating to an MV18.

MikeES
Also the v-twin Kohler Commands drop in. Check kits from Small Engine Warehouse and Al Eden. Along with Jim's repair they all have B&S, Honda, and Kohler repower solutions for the 917. The easiest solve but more expensive is a kohler M18 or M20 (these are the newer version of your KT17 engine). Everything is interchangeable with you KT17 except it has electronic ignition, so a the key switch need to changed also. For a new engine the flat twin magnums are more $ than a new V-twin Kohler Command engine.

colincox1
Hi, BEB, have a look at what I did on a Simp 7117H, same as a 917 I believe. It raises a lot of questions and answers. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=114206&SearchTerms=7117

mroman59
I bought a 7117H on eBay and the 17HP Kohler engine had done the same as yours. I was told that was a common problem with that engine. I repowered it using a 21HP Kawasaki engine that I got from Small Engine Warehouse. They had the engine already modified to fit the drive shaft and the wiring also. Was an easy project. If you go to their website and look up your tractor they may have an engine kit already available.