Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What engines will fit in a 917 Hydro?

bebbenga

The 17 hp, 2 cyl., Kohler threw the camshaft out the side under heavy snowblowing conditions and I need to know what will bolt in there? Any one cylinders have the same foot print and close to throttle and choke cable hookups? any suggestions will help, so I can get one to replace it, Used! ,a s expect 15 more inches in March here in southern Minnesota (just had 11 inches this weekend). Thanks much!! Bryan

Quite a few. KT17 Kohler Magnums Kohler Magnum vertical shafts (MV18, MV20) with some modifications Single cylinder Kohlers Some Brigg with some ignition changes The only one I can really speak to is updating to an MV18.

Also the v-twin Kohler Commands drop in. Check kits from Small Engine Warehouse and Al Eden. Along with Jim's repair they all have B&S, Honda, and Kohler repower solutions for the 917. The easiest solve but more expensive is a kohler M18 or M20 (these are the newer version of your KT17 engine). Everything is interchangeable with you KT17 except it has electronic ignition, so a the key switch need to changed also. For a new engine the flat twin magnums are more $ than a new V-twin Kohler Command engine.

Hi, BEB, have a look at what I did on a Simp 7117H, same as a 917 I believe. It raises a lot of questions and answers. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=114206&SearchTerms=7117

I bought a 7117H on eBay and the 17HP Kohler engine had done the same as yours. I was told that was a common problem with that engine. I repowered it using a 21HP Kawasaki engine that I got from Small Engine Warehouse. They had the engine already modified to fit the drive shaft and the wiring also. Was an easy project. If you go to their website and look up your tractor they may have an engine kit already available.