Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

16HP B&S simplicity

xxsponkyxx

Hello all. This is my first post sm01. I have a Simplicity 7116 Hydrostatic that im trying to get running but im lacking some governor springs and as there is none there im not sure of how many there should be or where they should be connected. Ive searched for parts but being in Australia have had little luck. If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated. cheers Jason

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• xxsponkyxx

• RayS

• powerking_one

• neilb1956

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Welcome. I would try these guys. [url]www.jackssmallengines.com[/url] I have good luck with them for parts and they are a sponsor of this site.

If it's a 326431 or a 326437 single cylinder Briggs, you need 2 springs on the governor, though I've gotten by fine with only one in recent experimentations. The spring setup is the same as the smaller cousins...but you need the right springs. If using any old governor spring, the stock spring settings go out the window, and you'll have to find the sweet spot thorugh watching and listening.
[img]http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff512/talntedmrgreen/IMAG0076.jpg[/img]

Go here and then toggle to both page 4 and 5. I think this has your answer. The arrangement is the same for both 30 and 32 CID engines.^ http://www.simpletractors.com/operation/b_%26_s_300401.htm

Jacks will not or would't ship overseas. Try Sandy Lake implements They will ship over seas and have the experts to tell you exactly what you need. Talk to Brenda 0r Betty. http://www.sandylakeimp.com/ 3675 Sandy Lake Road Sandy Lake PA 16145 Toll Free: (888) 252-0656 Local Phone: (724) 376-2489 Fax: (724) 376-3775 always on 24/7

Well ive got some springs in the mail so all is good. I do have another question though. [IMG]http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv342/Madbones/mower/1019101217-00.jpg[/IMG] This clutch when the cutting deck is engaged starts to eventually slip. Now ive tried remove it and the large nut comes free but nothing else will budge. Are they repairable as im guessing its the lack of friction material. cheers jason

Take the nut off. It will come of with a three jaw puller. It slides over a woodruff key. The lining does where out. They are available new for around $85.00 and people have done repairs with leather as well. http://simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=68008&SearchTerms=leather http://simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=23565&SearchTerms=leather http://simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=37990&SearchTerms=leather http://simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=38765&SearchTerms=leather Make sure the bearing on the inside of that pulley is good or you will ruin that new lining quick.

Try running the belt on the inside groove for the mower deck as this may be the cause of your slipping. Brandon

Cheers Brandon i will give it a try. Ive pulled the end off the clutch to find only bits of friction material in there and after a bit of a hunt around found a strip of leather that ive managed to glue to the inside rim. Yet to try it as im still waiting on some springs but fingers crossed. While i had some time i pulled the head of the engine and found something unusual. A srew that has been stamped between the piston and the head itself.Couldnt work this one out for a while but thought of the carb. So i pulled the carb off just after the bend from the engine, looked inside to find the butterfly in there but missing its screw.

That may cause some problems. I'm not sure but I have heard of problems occurring from stuff like that wrecking the piston and head.

It doesnt seem to have affected the engine as it runs fine with good compression apart from the butterfly catching sometimes due to being off center ( now fixed ) There is a small indentation on the piston and the screw itself was firmly attached to the actual head. I would like some direction on checking the charging system for the battery. Seems that a wire has been cut. The white wire goes to the amp meter at present and the meter doesnt move when running. [IMG]http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv342/Madbones/0304111115-00.jpg[/IMG] regards Jason

Another option is to get the model number of the engine and order the parts straight from Briggs and Stratton. That's what I did with my 5216H, It was inexpensive and didn't take long to arrive.

• 2 weeks later...
Well after a short wait i did eventually get the new springs in the mail and with the advice for you guys have the engine purring like a kitten. It realy rips through the grass more so than my newer JD that has more HP but i was stopped short after the belt that drives the cutting deck failed. There is a slight angle between the cutting decks main drive pulley wheel when the deck is say two notches up from ground level. Im wondering if a kevlar reinforced belt might be a better option as the one one it was a standard v belt. Ive got a JD ride on that has a reinforced belt.. I think the belts a B76

Jason, You could try a Kevlar belt which some members really like. Or you could try a Simplicity belt which other members really like. The problem with belts and the mid PTO is the number of bends the belt must take. Some belts just do not stand up to running on the outside of themselves Since you are not a paying club member you are not allowed to post pictures. I am glad we were able to help get your tractor running. Welcome to the club. Rick.......

My apologies Rick. In my initial excitement of finding this forum i failed to read the sites rule. And i posted pictures previously not realising again my apologies. I have rectified this by paying for a twelve month membership. The information that i have gained is worth it ten fold.

Jason, No apologies needed as far as I am concerned. You made a mistake and fixed it by becoming a member. Welcome to the club as a paying member. Rick........

• 6 months later...
Update for my 7116 and by the looks of it im going to need some more knowledge. Up until now its been running great with the motor all sorted out until the weekend. I was cutting and all of a sudden lost drive on a very slight incline. She started rolling backwards with the blades still operating so i shut them down and rolled to a stop. I did notice the RH rear wheel wobble as it came to a stop. After a closer look ( i will post up some pics later ) it looks like a bearing from the side of the transmission failed as there were a few chunks of steel not unlike the outer casing of a bearing and some sort of very fine spring in amongst the carnage. Another thing i noticed is it is extremely easy to push around with no resistance at all. Any ideas on what ive done. cheers jason , Australia

You may have broke the axle tube near the right side differential or sheared the keys on the axle shaft that hold the gear in place on the inside of right had differential.

quote:
Originally posted by xxsponkyxx
Well after a short wait i did eventually get the new springs in the mail and with the advice for you guys have the engine purring like a kitten. It realy rips through the grass more so than my newer JD that has more HP but i was stopped short after the belt that drives the cutting deck failed. There is a slight angle between the cutting decks main drive pulley wheel when the deck is say two notches up from ground level. Im wondering if a kevlar reinforced belt might be a better option as the one one it was a standard v belt. Ive got a JD ride on that has a reinforced belt.. I think the belts a B76
These decks are really not designed to be run when lifted. Some members do it, but for best results the rear deck rollers should rest firmly on the ground