Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Starter generator is broken

moparharn

My Delco Remy starter generator model 1101689 has failed. The opposite end from the pulley has a cover plate with a boss to hold the shaft end. This casting has cracked off exposing the shaft end. I am guessing that I will have to replace this unit rather than repair it. Does anyone know where I could get another unit quickly, or is it still possible for me to get this one repaired. Thanks for any help. Bill

Bob, I can't tell. The shaft looks like it has a copper colored end to it. The casting has a cup shaped end to it that has broken off. Judging by the size of this cup shaped end, I can't see how a bearing could fit in something with this size diameter. My unit does not have the oil cups on it, so I am assuming that it has sealed bearings if you cannot lubricate it. I took it apart and the shaft(magnets?) appears to have rubbed on the metal plates (windings?) attached to the id of the housing when the non pulley end failed. It was dirty and a little burned inside. I don't know if the guts are still good or not. If I could find a new casting and bearings I might be able to get it rebuilt. I suppose I could contact some rebuild people to see if they have the parts I need. Bill

I would think in your area, heavy duty starter - generator shops should be easy to come by. WAI is a large corporation that makes after market items. Your best bet for now is to-shop via phone or the net. This should be current replacement: http://search.waiglobal.com/partnum.aspx?part=9193N

I am taking it to a local rebuilder at lunch today and he will put in a new armature,cover plate with dual roller bearings, brushes, and paint for $135. It will be ready tomorrow. It sure is great to have a someone local who will do it right away and I can keep the money at home. Thank you for all the great help. Bill

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-SIMPLICITY-CUSHMAN-STARTER-GENERATOR-CW-ROTATION-/140486070686?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20b59f519e http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-SIMPLICITY-STARTER-GENERATOR-CW-/230589294095?pt=Other_Vehicle_Parts&hash=item35b031660f

quote:
Originally posted by moparharn
I am taking it to a local rebuilder at lunch today and he will put in a new armature,cover plate with dual roller bearings, brushes, and paint for $135. It will be ready tomorrow. It sure is great to have a someone local who will do it right away and I can keep the money at home. Thank you for all the great help. Bill
It would be wise to have your voltage regulator mated with the generator again. Then you'll know both are compatible. I do that to mine when I take mine to my rebuilder. It only takes a couple of minutes.