Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
YellowB10

I want to shuttle my camper around the yard..ideas

YellowB10
Id like to be able to move my Airstream camper with my 7016...the only issue i see is tongue weight...Has anyone built a 'dolly' on which to place a trailer tongue then have it attach to the back of the tractor with out the weight of the trailer dirctly on the tractor...?

Talntedmrgreen
On even ground, I've never found it difficult to pull and push trailers. My snowmobile trailer is 26', and loaded down is probably pushing 5000#. It's not a fast move, but the tractor puts it anywhere I need it to go, on the rear ball hitch (no hills). Not sure what the toungue weight is...couple hundred pounds. My 35' travel trailer would put the old girl on her rear though @ 8700#. That would be a disaster...

Burntime
I have moved well over a ton on a trailer. It was full of oak. I have also pulled a 21ft searay boat up a grade. Not sure how good it was for the tractor but it did it. The searay had a lot of tongue weight and that was the only time it ever really felt like a load.

RickS
I also have moved my 21 foot Searay around without any trouble. The tongue weight must be around 400 pounds or so. The tractor did not seem to have any trouble moving the boat around. If I had to guess a weight I would think between 5,000 and 6,000 pounds for the trailer, boat, and a full load of fuel (32 gallons) Rick.......

jmhusby
Our camper weighs 3400 with no additional items in it. We have maybe 400 pounds of other things in it now and when I see how it settles my Ranger with overload springs there's no way I'd ever hook it to any of the garden tractors. Bend or break something and its not easy to back up anyway.:(!:(!:(!

PGL
Another thread re rear towing hitches http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=112430& I think there was some discussion a few years ago about adding a ball for a front mounted hitch, easier to move trailers.

cwm1276
I have pulled older 23+ travel trailers (before the lightweight models of today) with a ball on the the stock hitch of an AC716, same tractor as yours. The only problem becomes front weight, the front end becomes quite light! A spare person sitting on the hood can help, as well as jump off to be eyes where you can't see. The snowblower also works well, but if you are trying to get into tight spots it may cause problems as well. Also remember your don't have much for brakes, so take it easy, thankfully the hydro helps out a bit but I would not try hills that might have the trailer pulling your tractor around.

HubbardRA
I just remembered something I forgot to say. When pulling a heavy trailer with one of the garden tractors, be sure to add some heavy weights to the front of the tractor. I was pulling my tandem axle out of the back yard one day. The front of the tractor came up in the air suddenly and that made the hitch on the trailer pop off the ball on the tractor. Well I got to watch my trailer "in slow motion" go back across the yard and through the 16 foot door on my garage. When you have several thousand pounds behind these tractors, they will pull the front wheels off the ground and stand up.

Talntedmrgreen
quote:
Originally posted by PGL
Another thread re rear towing hitches http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=112430& I think there was some discussion a few years ago about adding a ball for a front mounted hitch, easier to move trailers.
Makes steering easy, but ONLY with a light load. I have a front ball hitch, and with any tounge weight, your rear gets light on it's feet and you spin...a LOT ^

ka9bxg
You would not want to see what I pull around then. I have had over 5,000 lbs on a tandem axel trailer and pulled it around fine but front does get light. I pulled my 18 foot 70's camper around just fine they do not stop fast .