Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

upping my RPM's

bgeoffreyburnham

I replaced the motor in my Simplicity Landlord 2001 tractor a year ago. Since then I have noticed the RPM's do not seem as high at "full throttle" as they were before. I don't believe this is a fault of the new motor which appears to be operating normally, but rather a function of the cable for the throttle. I realize this is probably a conceptual problem for me, but does anyone know how I should adjust the cable so it "pushes" the throttle further? Should I clamp the cable housing so that more of the cable housing is protruding towards the carb? Currently I have clamped the cable housing such that the end of the external cable housing is flush with the clamp.. or do I have it all wrong and need to do something else? Thanks for any suggestions... Geoff

I am enclosing a photo of the engine label. Its a Briggs and Stratton, 18 HP V-Twin engine. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Geoff

A bit more information. I took a closer look at the throttle cable and think I found the problem although not necessarily the solution. When the engine failed last year, one of the things that happened when the engine blew and vibrated like the Shuttle going through re-entry, the end of the throttle cable came out of the throttle lever. I took the lever out and, without any instructions as to how the cable end was to be threaded to the lever, came up with one method. That is where I think the problem was since before when I moved the throttle handle down to accelerate the end of the cable wire bowed out somewhat instead of moving directly down into the cable housing. Today I took a different approach and it seems to slide more directly into the cable housing affecting a better throw of the cable by decreasing the friction. However, I would be grateful if anyone could send or direct me to a diagram or directions for the factory recommended way. Given the bends on the wire, and the only hole in the bottom of the lever, I don't think there are a lot of choices but neither the one I did before or the one I did today look like the best way.. Thanks Geoff