Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

A good day gone bad

osenga

Well today we got 6 inches of snow when I got off work. Pulled the 916H with blower and cab out . Got it all blew put and was looking good. Then I got on the 725 with the blade just to move some of the little stuff the blower don't get. And on the 2nd swipe through had a blade full and all at once it came to a rolling stop with alot of grinding. If I push the brake in the grinding stops . So this weekend I will have to tear into it and see if I lost the bgb or the rear end . Sure hope it is the bgb since I do have a back up one ready to go. Any thing else I should look for?

Well since the clutch/brake stops the trans/axle from turning so you can shift gears you probaly sheared some teeth on the upper pinions to driven gear. haveing a replacement would be nice

It could still be the bgb if the bearing went and it pulls it out of center when tension is on it. Disconect the drivetrain and take off the belt and check it.

Well i hope today or tomorrow I am able to work on it and when I figure out what is wrong I will let you all know . If it ends up being the BGB this will be the first time one has ever failed me so. Just glad I have one ready for back up

Is someone rebuilding the bgb? I don't have one on my tractor but. It seems like the people with them have problems with them. Why do they cost so much?

Considering the bevel gear box's soul purpose in life is to change the drive angle and then drive all center and rear PTO's, and transmission be it gears, hydro, variable, or shuttle, and considering that it is working 100% of the time the tractor is running, and considering it is transferring all of the available horsepower to all of the needed drive-train and attachments needs (other than front PTO driven attachments), and considering that they actually have a very, very long life span and we really don't hear about many major BGB issues really, I think they are fairly reliable and extremely well made. Because they are so well made however, when they do go parts are 'spensive. Also because they are such an integral part of the tractor, and so specific (read: no after market parts I am aware of?) and an absolute must in order for the tractor to be worth much more than scrap and parts, I assume they can charge just about what they want for said parts. Or, we should also consider that I could be completely off base. 8D

Brett yes they are high in price to rebuild . But in my 10years running these tractors this is the first one to go down on me . and the only once had to replace a side seal but no biggie.

Check your BGB from underneath the tractor from time to time. There are four bolts that hold it to the frame. Many complain that these bolts work there way out over time due to vibration, I guess, and you could end up breaking off an ear from the BGB. Then you will need to find a used one. Don't know if they are still in stock, but if they are I bet they are pretty penny. If this happens to many, then I consider it a flaw design. Personally, I think I would like to have the drive shaft go directly to the hydraulic pump/transmission and eliminate the BGB and have an electric PTO, like on a Cub Cadet that I was looking at. I had an oil seal leak and had to remove the BGB to replace it. When I looked under the tractor, sure enough two bolts were working their way out. One had about 1/2" threaded into the box and the threads were ruined on it and another bolt. If it were not for oil seal leak and repair then I could have been in big trouble. Taking out the BGB for repair requires splitting the tractor frame in two and supporting on jacks. Quite an experience! Now, every year I look at those four bolts as part of my routine maintenance.

Welll I made it out to the shop and started in on the 725 to find the problem. So I was puching a a light load of snow any clue what went on here ? i was not stuck and i have never put no strain to it since i have owned it. so this looks like a easy fix sad part is that I have the spare bgb to go in but now I have to look around for a driveshaft what a bummer

well that would of been my last thing to ever to think of with the noise it made but it was the first thing you see when you unbolt the dash and lift it off . But it did a very good job cleaning out the little snow we did get today. I enjoyed my seat time and the old girl was glad to be back to working cond. And this is the first time i have ever heard of a drive shaft breaking. Has this ever happened to anyone else??