Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Manual Transmission newer Sovereign (racer)

hotrodtractor

I have a few hydro Sovereigns and a stick/manual old 7010. I am looking to see if they made 7100 series with manual gear boxes? If so what years approx? I love the hydro just want to hop up a gear drive for speed/can't do that with the hydro. I could mod up the 7010 but would prefer a newer series with gear box.

Dunno, my hydros go about as fast as I feel safe riding on them. If yours is slow, have you checked the linkage to ensure you are able to go full-speed as designed?

yes everything is correct and goes oem speed of like 8mph. I am looking for a fun machine that goes like 30mph, yes wheelies and play time. I know the bgb is stout but wonder how it will hold up, or the rear end for that matter. I assume you guys have seen people racing lawn mowers... I love sovereigns so time to make one fast.

I don't know anything about how they set up those racing tractors, but I think you are going to be limited in how much faster you can make the Landlord by just pulley changes. Changing both pulleys will certainly make it faster, but I doubt you could get anywhere near 30 mph.

Well i have talked to a guuy that race's the old broodmoor and when i find one he buys them from me to set them up and the one he races he said it was clocked in at 32mph on a paved road but . But I really think that is to fast for a tractor lol

yes broadmoors are easier to to do as they have full belt drive and verticle shaft engines and no BGB. Do you guys think I could get 30mph out of a sovereign by changing both pulleys? Do a google search on lawn mower racing you will see that it's looks fun. I know there are beter machines to make a racer out of, but love my sovereigns, I won't race/compete this is just for fun. I plan to put a wide low profile car tire on the rear I have some 5 bolt rims left over from a hot rod that bolt up great. Have not decided on front but I know that they make some wide 8" tires.

Why try to speed up a 700# tractor? A Broadmoor or any of the cheap boxstore tractors only weigh about 250#. The light tractors will go faster with less horsepower. With the power that a Sovereign has, you should have no problems making 30 mph, if the bearings in the transmission hold up. I have a moped with less than 5 Hp that will run 40 mph. I built a go-cart, when my kids were young, from a riding mower with 5 Hp and it would run 18 mph. A bearing can take heavy loads at low speeds or high speeds with low loads, but not both, unless they are designed for it. I would worry about the bearings in the transmission. Front wheel bearings will do fine, but bearings in the rear are not designed to turn that fast. When you start running the higher speeds, you should be very careful of the collars that hold the wheels on. If the set screws work loose you will lose a wheel. I would put some type of more positive locking device on the wheels before running a tractor at 30 mph. The pivoting front axles also make the handling very bad at higher speeds. It feels like skiing on one ski only. I would make the front axle solid or at least sprung before driving at high speeds. After having a pulling tractor with a 750cc Suzuki engine on it and 20 speeds in the transmissions, I know how they handle at higher speeds. Believe me, it is much easier to get them up to speed than it is to stop them. Once you get into a handling problem it is very difficult to get out of it without getting hurt on a garden tractor. Be careful!

Great feedback guys! Rod your right about the stopping sovereigns never were very good at that, sometimes I wonder if that single brake band does anythings at all ngr2. Sounds like it can be done, just risky and kind of foolish.... yet O so much fun.sm06 My thought is this I would like to use the machine for racing around places that you would not be allowed with a atv, dirt bike, go cart. For example I live off Glacier drumlin trail and those things are not allowed, as with driving around street(very rural country). I am confident that a guy on a lawn mower would not get looked at twice. Well that's assuming said guy is not riding a wheelie at 30mph.... :o)

Just separate the 7100 series and the 700 series in the middle (at the BGB) and swap backends. Now you have a 7010 hydro and a 71xx 3-speed. That is how we do pulling ACs.

Wow, I would not feel safe at that speed! I know that I have gone up on 2 wheels turning on a hill at the current top speed and there was not much time to react. I can't imaging a non-nimble machine like a sovereign at 40? Fun, YES! Safe, here, hold my beer!:D

I agree with Burntime and Rod. I've had my 7016H up on two wheels when turning with the lawn sweeper(have to go fast with the sweeper or it doesn't work well) That was fast enough. These things spec out around 8mph but many will do closer to 9. I would add a seatbelt and roll bar. I've cut grass using doing about 8mph and after 10 minutes you will be sore. With no suspension its very rough ride, even on a fairly smooth yard. All of that rough riding is also hard on the axle tubes and keys.

This one's probably too far away from you, but I think it's a good deal at a $300 BIN price: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=115796

OK guys I did it put a 4" pulley on the rear Stock was 6" and she goes much much faster. Had to switch out to a shorter belt 47". I am not done yet but I would guess the speed about doubled. I would imagine to truly double I would have had to reduce the pulley by 50%. So maybe I am getting 15mph have not clocked yet.

Heres a picture of the pulley mod

and the new hot rod (thanks to CleanBee)which I will write more about soon.

This is a old one from previous owner

How well does this shift gears? It's not synchro so how do you shift for speed? Wouldn't a shuttle shift be easier to run up to speed, since your not pulling a load?

I had the same thought, i.e. wouldn't a shuttle shift be easier. My neighbor has a Case shuttle shift tractor and he flies through gears, forward and reverse also, thought he had a hydro at first. I didnt know about shuttle shift at the time.

I have not done much gear shifting on the run. Usually I just pick the speed/gear and use it then use the throttle to change speed. Remember this the good old briggs that turns 4000rpm. I have a gas pedal that I have not installed yet. I usually just run her in 3rd gear wide open on the road. I thought I heard rumor that the shuttle was nothing but problems. Mike and the Deuces uses the regular 3 spds and he is very competitive puller with these sovereigns.

Anybody got any more ideas how to get a bit more speed out? I could up size the BGB side pulley, but that is hard as the guard prevents the belt from coming off during clutching and does not look very easy to modify. I would think going to a much smaller pulley that 4" would cause some belt slippage. Maybe I will go with the 26x12x12 instead of the 24x12x12 to get a little more top speed.

You might think modifying the belt guard might be hard. Would making a belt guard be a better alternative?? You would have to make sure there is enough clearance for a larger BGB output pulley. On another note too, there are the belt stops that are made from 3/16" rod like in your first picture. When heated, they are easy to fabricate.