Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

broadmoor 738 questions

kilalove21

noob that needs help... first, i'm glad i found you all, i thought i was weird with my love of my 738. in fact i love it so much that when i broke a piston ring i ended up honing the original engine .050, added a .030 pison with .020 rings, and ported the intake. it is by far the best mower i have ever used. anyways, my tires are pretty bad, the fronts are 5.3x4.5-6 which i can't find anywhere. what size tire can i fit on that rim? the rear is common size so i won't have any problem with them. my other question is i have no first gear, is that a difficult repair? i'm a mechanic by trade, but this gearbox looks quite a bit different than anything i'm used to. the only reason i want it is because i'm about to invest in a snow blower for it and am afraid that the other gears might move too fast if there is a lot of snow. thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum. The transmission problem can be fixed but lots of the internals for that one will probably be no longer available. Not sure how you have the right ring end gap when using .020 rings in a .050 cylinder?

the compression is incredible. when i did the rebuild the gap was perfect in comparison to the cylinder. i don't even have to use the choke to start it.

not to hijack the thread but i had an 11.5 horse in a 4211 once that the prev owner put a crank in it out of i have no idea and did some other motor work to it and the compression on it was crazy!!!it has not missed a beat for 5yrs now like that....the best place i find any size tire is ebay..jmo..and also WELCOME!!!:D

Its not that hard to tear them apart. And some gears are still available. I have taken these trannys apart 5-6 times and they are actually pretty simple.

It is also very easy to swap in a replacement tranny from a donor tractor. If you want to blow snow, you will need the slow first gear! Tom in Milwaukee

@bud - are there any clearances that i need to watch out for? what kind of tolerances do the gears have? or am i making it too difficult for myself?

quote:
Originally posted by kilalove21
anyone on the size of the front tires?
About any of the narrow profile tires for a 6" rim should work. I have had good luck with both of these vendors. [url]http://cgi.ebay.com/TWO-New-3-50-6-Tri-rib-3-Rib-Front-Tires-Tubes-4-ply-/380281315423?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item588a88605f[/url] [url]http://cgi.ebay.com/13x5-00-6-SPECIAL-PURCHASE-turf-tire-tractors-mowers-/330498218524?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf33a9a1c[/url]