Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Fire! Fire!...Its on Fire!

SmilinSam

You all want to know the meaning of stress ? Changing out the fuel lines and putting in new ones with shut offs and filters on the 5010.. along with a new battery. Fired it up for a test run tonight a little while ago and ran it around the drive and got it warmed up, wheeled it back into the shed and shut it off. Got off an looked down and there was alot of smoke coming out from under the hood:O Whipped the hood open and the air screen was looking like a chimneyyell:||:|| Flyin over to the tool box and grabbing the 7/16 wrenches to get the shroud off.. Cant get the one :||:||bolt out...! Finally got the:||:||:|| loose...Smokes not letting up either Then the starter cover was catching on the flywheel... Back to the :||:|| toolbox.. Got the shroud off and pitched the :||:||:|| burning mouse nest outside. Got off lucky. It was burning above the wiring. Burnt just a little of the insulation off the spark plug lead. On the plus side, I found the magnatron ignition that had replaced the original was the one with the long lead for the 16HP Briggs cast irons with the magnatrons, so I have a spare if I ever need it.:) There for a while I thought she was going to be a write off judging from all the smoke the nest was making. If it would have been one of the Soveriegn types I suppose I would have had to have just shoved it out the door and hope it would burn out. Wouldnt have been any hope of getting the shroud off one of those in a hurrysm00

u lucked out there sam!!!my buddy as a 620 allis that he can leave in the garage 1 nite and come out the next day, everytime and it has a nest in it...i was helping him get it going for the first time an i thought it was a gonner!!lots of smoke!!lol!!:D

A number of years ago we noticed a few owls close to our home( with in a few feet of our back door}wife thought it was cool!I found out why when i found a nest on the engine of my pick up.Set traps killed 26 mice in 15 days.the damage they can do to vehicle wireing is substantial as all rodents need to shave there teeth any sigh of mice kill them.

Lucky people or structures were not hurt and damaged. That could have turned bad quick! Glad you were alright. Nothing like raising the ole heart rate!:D:D:D

When they smoke like that it can scare the s--- out of you. I had run wires through a switch and hooked to the battery to run my sprayer and unbeknown to me a friend who was visiting lent his helping hand and rerouted the wires through a couple of holes and back up to the battery they rubbed when the hood was down. Needless to say the first time I used the sprayer they had rubbed bare and I fliped the switch I never saw so much smoke. Not much of flame and went out as soon as all the coating had burned from the wires and melted the switch. Fortunately this was on my 88 Ingersoll with mostly metal and not all the plastic they use nodays. Still gives a person a heck of a feeling to have all that smoke roll out!!sm05sm05

quote:
Originally posted by goatfarmer
How's the mouse, Sam? Gonna be OK?
Dont KNow Kenny, no sign of em. Must have set the booby trap and cleared out:D

I think that will be on my coming agenda too. Take all the covers loose and do some blowing out and vacuuming. Reliablle sources around here also tell me you should check for mice in your kitchen toasters:D

Good one Reed:D Depending on how much you want to invest in labor, get a handful of wire type mouse traps and rig with peanut butter. There are all kinda methods including bait blocks and "humane" traps, but take it from a farm manager wire traps work best for small areas. Get ready for a lot of castinette sounds :p

Well I have never had a mouse nest, but my shed does not have any grains that would attract rats or mice. But now that I am hearing about all these fires people are experiencing, I have decided to mount a fire extinguisher in my garage in case something goes wrong while working on my tractors.

Does anyone know if fire extinquishers can be in harsh environments? Just how cold are they still effective and funtioning? Reason is that is a great idea to mount one in the back garage. The hose is 150ft away.

Fire extinguisher are rated for different types of fire, paper, solvents, electrical etc. I would buy the one rated for all. However, I dont know what will happen if you store them in the cold and then need one. That is good question.

I have never had a frozen dry-chem extinguisher even in 10 deg. I keep one in the barn and one in the garage near the welder. I'm sure there is a minimum spec published on the manufacturer website. Btw, the rodentia do not need food to make nests. The most part of my nest incidents were strictly habitat without food. Cardboard, paper and soft goods make for fibers (I made the mistake of leaving a pillow in a barn once, we know where that went}:) ). Heat in the presence of cold can attract also.

I have put those food baits in the back garage. It seems like they do not touch them for a month then all of the sudden they chew one up. Hopefully its getting those little suckers!:D Never looked into which type but it seems to me it was the dry chemical kind I have. Thanks for the input.dOd

I got an ABC extinguisher right inside the door on the wall in the shop. Only time I ever had to use it was on the one other tractor fire I had. Thankfully that one was close by the shop. Seems it was a 7012 or something along that line. Battery slid over and the bolt on the positive post stuck out just enough to contact the metal part of the gas tank strap. I had electric tape around the end of the cable or somewhere in there and was off the tractor while it was running and walking back to it uphill when I noticed the smoke. The tape had caught fire and was burning, starting to catch the rubber part of the tank strap on fire too. Battery explosion and gas tank fire would have just ruined my day I'm afraid.. After that I started cutting masonite dividers to put between the battery and the tank in all my tractors. Other than setting my fraid pants on fire, and/or socks while welding, thats the only fire problems I have had related to tractors.

Here in Minnesota we use ABC extinguishers and it gets to -30 regularly. They are dry chemical and work well. Just went out to one of my cabins and checked. I have Kidde brand extinguishers and they are rated to -40 degrees. Dan