Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

how close have you been.....

sbull78

sam's near fire made think...how many times have you guys almost burnt or burnt up your machine or garage while working with these things????this should be good!!!.....i personally was helping a buddy on his 620 that was full of nests and needless to say a bucket of water was used!! for myself, i was cleaning up the underside of a 48inch deck i was restoring with a wire brush in front of the garage..i hit something and it shot a spark into the garage...i didn't think anything of it until i saw smoke rolling out of the corner of my eye!!!!!!i looked over and 20feet away that spark had landed on a pile of oily rags i have by the wall and lit them up and it was going up the wall!!!GARDEN HOSE!!!my neighbor saw the whole thing and was dying laughing!!!:D

My log splitter started sending smoke signals. I ran with that sucker to the hose. It was disconected from the tractor and the wife had a wagon on it in the back yard. That sucker is heavy, and now the shroud is definitely clean!:D

This isn't tractor related but it is fire related. When we were moving from Texas a couple years back I had a 5x8 trailer stacked higher than the top of the truck. I stopped for gas at around 3 am and smelled something burning,hum, looked around the truck and trailer didn't see any smoke or flames. So we took off, at that point we were about halfway to Indiana and I wasn't letting the grass grow under my feet. When we got home and unloaded the trailer, wow! the bed comforter I used in between the furniture was burn to a crisp and the side of the dresser was burnt pretty good also! The wife's cig must have started the fire at some point before 3 am when she flipped it out the window! All I keeped thinking was wouldn't that have been a sight, me flighting down the road at 75 mph with a giant flaming trailer! That and wish it would have burnt up in Texas so I wouldn't have to load and unload it. To funny. :O

When I was a kid a buddy threw a m80 out the window. It got sucked right back in the sunroof and between my legs on my lap. I swatted that sucker fast and it blew inbetween the seats. They had to do foam work, it blew a hole in the seat and the velvet upholstery. Needless to say that guy never road with me again... Funny now, but this world could have been short 2 kids had I not realized what it was that quick... He did not know it came back in and I did not know he had lit it. Sometimes someone is watching over you...

quote:
Originally posted by Burntime
When I was a kid a buddy threw a m80 out the window. It got sucked right back in the sunroof and between my legs on my lap. I swatted that sucker fast and it blew inbetween the seats. They had to do foam work, it blew a hole in the seat and the velvet upholstery. Needless to say that guy never road with me again... Funny now, but this world could have been short 2 kids had I not realized what it was that quick... He did not know it came back in and I did not know he had lit it. Sometimes someone is watching over you...
And you mite be talking a little funny to. :O:D

all good stories so far!lol!one time we had just got done mowing at a buddys house who's lawnmower had broke down...we were jokin around and i had a full stick with me...when they werent lookin i threw it across the road into the ditch...on a road where there was a car every 3hrs on it...just my luck here comes a motorcycle going about 15mph.....oh man....the full stick had a super long wick and was burning and burning and burning...the bike approached for what seemed like was ever....hurry up!!!!he no more then got about 20 feet past the full stick and it let loose!!BOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMM!!!!that guy did a super swerve all over the road and then downshifted and took off like a bat out of hell!!!i almost died laughin from it..i'm glad no one was hurt, but i thought we were in for disaster there.....and yes, we were sober!!lol!

I had a couple engine smolders before I learned to pop the blower covers off anything upon arrival. Usually the fire hazard for me is when welding. One time I had a car-wash sponge off in the corner as I was welding a mower deck part on the bench vise. Apparently it made a big spark throw because the sponge was 10 ft away when it caught fire. Concrete floor at least but it took a moment to realize it wasn't weld smoke. Fortunately sponges while flammable, blow out easily from stepping on them. sm00

Put a charger on a battery of a tractor thinkin it was dead and needed to start it fast we put it on it fast boost. Turned out the battery was fully charged and melted wire all the way to the solenoid and fried that. turned out the ground was loose :( oh well you learn from mistakes

March 1st 2010 i was draining gas tanks getting cars ready for crushing ended up wit 3rd degree burns on my waist and wrist and a really sunburnt face. long story short cordless drills light gas on fire. luckly only had about 20-30 gallons drained into a holding tank.

quote:
Originally posted by sierradriver
March 1st 2010 i was draining gas tanks getting cars ready for crushing ended up wit 3rd degree burns on my waist and wrist and a really sunburnt face. long story short cordless drills light gas on fire. luckly only had about 20-30 gallons drained into a holding tank.
Dude that would :||, I had never thought about the little sparks in the drill. They spark up really good when the brushes start getting bad.

Have a good friend who now is really into Simple tractors, like 5 in less than a year. Anyway helping him and he was grinding on a push plow in his old chicken coop. Well looking up, and saw the sparks hitting the VERY dry straw above us, and yelled stop! Could have been an interesting evening trying to put out 1 ton of straw fire....

Learn from my mistake: I bought a Garden Mark Squire (same as the 725) a few years ago with a "dead battery". I installed a new battery while standing in front of the tractor and my back facing the car parked in the garage. The tractor was in gear so it wouldn't roll down the driveway. When I connected the leads to the new battery I found out the hard way that the starter button was stuck. It started cranking over, while in gear pinning me between the tractor and the rear bumper of the car. It didn't fire because the key was in the off position, but I was using every ounce of strength to keep the tractor off my abdomen as the rear wheels spun on the smooth concrete floor. The torque was unbelievable. I managed to push it to the side and it plowed into the garage wall which gave me an opportunity to yank the battery cable. It scared the living out of me. Moral of the story - don't stand in front of the tractor while you're working on it. Duh B)

i had dry grass build up on top of the mower while mowing and be ignited by a siezed idler....First clue was smoke blowing out of the front of the tractor where the engine fan had caught it. I could actually see flame through the gear lever hole. Luckily I was near a water hose and got it put out with no damage, except the idler of course.... Scary though....

quote:
Originally posted by GWGAllisfan
i had dry grass build up on top of the mower while mowing and be ignited by a siezed idler....First clue was smoke blowing out of the front of the tractor where the engine fan had caught it. I could actually see flame through the gear lever hole. Luckily I was near a water hose and got it put out with no damage, except the idler of course.... Scary though....
I have also had this happen. Like a dummy I knew the idler was getting bad but didn't think about it catching fire to the grass on the deck. I was able to put it out with a hose too, but it sure does give a scare, LOL

http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=115780 Read above thread. I almost started a fire and I can tell because the live wire hit my watch and burned the crap out of my wrist in one little spot. I never touch house electrical and should have confirmed what I was doing on here before I did my latest blunder. Learning the hard way sometimes stinks but you never forget.

my garage caught on fire wednesday after doing so work getting a 310 apart.still not exactly how it started but i'll tell you the process of dealing with the insurance company hasn't been fun.to make things worse my truck(08 tundra) was in there so it is covered in sut and mostly smoke damaged.it is going to chicago on monday to see if it can be fixed.now my plans wth my 314 might be changing,but i learned gas and sparks don't mix

I was welding a repair panel on the fender arch of my 1989 toyota tercel when the goo between the inner and outer fender caught on fire. Problem was there was no access to it. Scrambled to get a drill and a bit so I could drill a hole to stick a fire extinguisher in and put it out. Ended up cooking the entire fender, the inside fenter and plastic trim thats beside the back seat....paint pealed and the car smelled like burn plastic for the rest of its life.

Got 2 good stories for you guys. First one was about 15yrs ago. We had an old wooden deck on the back of our house. It was going to be replaced that summer anyway. Bees were makinking a huge nest in one corner each year. Every year it got larger and larger. Quite annoying when you are sitting out there and having a beer. One evening I decided to dump a small amount of gas on them through the top and light it up. After it burned a short while I poured some water on it. It would not go out. Decided to stomp on it. Fire went out but my leg was on fire. Melted my sock to my leg. Got it cleaned up and went to bed. Next day I was feeling very disey. Ended up at the hospital and had to be treated. Second story was about 8yrs ago. Was in the garage working on an older Mercedes Benz Diesel. I was having a problem with it not shutting off with the key. My young dog was out there also as always. I decided to remove a side plate on the injection pump to see if something had broken off. Took it off and put it back together. Started the engine. RPM's went to 9000. Garage filled with black smoke immediately.Exhaust pipe was cherry red. Opened the garage to let the dog out and clear the smoke. Had to shut the car off by killing the fuel. Blew a head gasket and the dog would never atay in the garage again. Moral of these stories is Be very careful and aware of what you are doing at all times.

Last night the wife had me moving the bed room set around and seen the side of the dresser and thought Id take a couple of pictures to back up my story!

Richard, So what is the story behind the dresser? Or should I say on the side of the dresser? Is that some birthday party gone bad? Rick.....