Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
JCS

Kohler 18 HP OverHead Valve Question

JCS
Local engine repair shop says intake valve insert is loose in head and I need to buy new at $200.00 for head and also two new valves. Is $200.00 about correct for just the head????

dvogt
it's a very pricy head , and loose valve seats are common . usually the exhoust seat falls out . I've tried OS seats & pean them in , I've had some last 3-4 years before they fell out again , others didn't last long enough to have bothered with the time to repair them . some get hammered enough you can't repair them .

Al
Hi, Usually valve seats coming loose is caused by either running the engine at less than wide open when mowing etc, grass or other material [mouse nests etc] restricting the air flow to the fins, restricted exhaust, wrong muffler, late timing, oil and associated dust collecting on the heads, or heat recirculation. If it is heat recirculation the problem will continue until the engine is properly ducted to prevent the cooling fan from pulling hot air from the outflow from the heads and around the muffler around and cooling the engine with it. The problem is very prevelent with engines that have enclosed side panels and insufficient temp testing done by the mfr. Good Luck, Al E