Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

retainer rings

mroman59

does anyone know where to pick up those retainer rings used in bevel gear boxes, beside the dealer? I call a local fastener shop and described them to him and he said he had nothing like that. I have seen them on eBay, but they have been simplicity parts and not after market. thanks, MR

Are you talking about p/n 2118134? I'd try a good hardware store. Not an Ace or HWI, but a GOOD one. I don't know 1st hand what it looks like, but I doubt if there are any special retaining rings in there. Especially at $1.76. Do you have the old one?

Simplicity 2172206 (replaces 2172206SM) RING, Retaining look like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/Simplicity-Lawn-Mower-Part-Retaining-Ring-1729260SM-/360192145531?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53dd1ff87b#ht_500wt_1076

quote:
Originally posted by RayS
They are a $1.50 a piece. You only need two. I think for all that money I would just buy the correct one.
Couldn't agree with you more, you couldn't even drive across town for that kind of money.

get the correct one... you were probably just hoping to pick one up local but Ive never seen one just in generic status... similar ring on axle tube... BTW, be careful when you put that over the end of the shaft... it may want to fly across the room... and if youre in the barn like i was you wont find it for years... maybe get an extra...

Get yourself a pair of these pliers, life will be much better with them! http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Lock-Ring-Pliers,8640.html Haven't sent a lock ring flying since I got mine! But I still buy extras when I buy them. John U

I have noticed that the same style, but smaller is on my steering shaft, in addition to the drive shaft. The sizes of the shafts used by Simplicity are common English size measurements, so I would think that the retaining rings would be easy to find if they were used 20 years ago in other applications they would be plentiful and easy to find. So far I have been wrong. I have a couple of places in mind that I will stop to look at in the future for curiosity. If they dont have them, I will give up.

Some of the steering shaft retainers are a squared retaining ring, the BGB retainers are round. All are still available from Simplicity and are fairly inexpensive. Why not just buy them from the dealer? If you don't have one nearby one of the Simpletractors advertisers can get you what you need.

I have in the past, but that is one item I would like to find in a hardware store and know it will be there if I need it. My dealer is increasingly having less and less items in stock and you have to wait until the truck comes in which is usually the next week. Its nice to know where you can get common size parts (and cheaper )on the day you need them. If you start a Saturday project and find you need parts, it nice to know that where to find the part instead of hearing come back next week. I use to have two Simplicity dealers fairly close to my home. One went out of business a couple years ago and the other I get the impression is just be hanging on when I talk to the employees. The fact that things are not readily in stock is a sign that the economy is hurting them or just poor inventory methods. They had one mechanic who worked there for a long time and knew everything about the old machines. He was younger than me by 10 years at least and he left the company. Now when I go in and ask a question about the 60000 and 7000 series tractors they act like they never heard of them before.

One way to help keep them in business is to buy there parts:D. My nearest dealer I usually always have to wait for them to order something. He usually has what ever I need in stock for the Prestige since they sell more of the new stuff. Inventory is silly to sit on if you only have a few people with the older stuff.

Snap on or Mac have very good snap ring pliers.I have used them for years on transmissions.They have different styles that make it very easy to remove snap rings.

quote:
Originally posted by RayS
One way to help keep them in business is to buy there parts:D. My nearest dealer I usually always have to wait for them to order something. He usually has what ever I need in stock for the Prestige since they sell more of the new stuff. Inventory is silly to sit on if you only have a few people with the older stuff.
Very true. I try to keep extras of anything I might need on hand.

I am sure my dealer has in stock items for the newer tractors, but when we are talking about the tractors that the guys in this club like to refurbish, collect or use because they dont want to go out an spend $6K on a tractor plus all new attachments, then many parts are not available. I dont blame any dealer for not keeping these parts in inventory, especially when Briggs wants to phase out all parts anyways. It is not wise for any company to try to live in the past, they have to keep up to date and be competitive. So the fact remains that we will not be able to get some parts and others we will have to wait for the shipment to come in. That is why I too try to have extra parts on hand or keep a list of sources that I can go to in my area that may have the part on hand. I went to my dealer for a simple retaining ring and had to wait a week. Not something you want to happen when the grass is growing like weeds in the spring.