Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

2112 won't start, help!

cahickm2

I have a 2112 that won't run. It began running rough in the fall, I thought the carb needed rebuild so I did that and it won't even start now. I changed the fuel to rule out bad gas, not it either. It has good spark and gets fuel, what could it be? I've ran this tractor for 5 years without ever having to rip into the motor. My girlfriend's dad owned it previously, he couldn't remember when it was rebuilt but he said it was already bored .020 over. How much more can these old briggs motors go? how hard is it to do a rebuild by yourself? I've always been intimidated when it comes to rebuilding motors and this would be my first if i have to go that far to get it running.

Did it use a lot of oil? If you have spark and fuel and you can spin it over, it sounds like compression. It could just be plain old worn out.

Nope, checked the oil and it was fine. It only smoked for a second on start up, nothing abnormal. How much and what all is needed to do a rebuild?

It should be relatively easy to pop the head and look at the cylinder bore and valve movement. If you have access to a compression tester, removal of the head would not be necessary. I know that 80#s is not terrible for these engines, but beyond that, I am not the one who could tell you what is too low or stock perfect. But if you have fuel to the cylinder and good spark and it really doesn't even want to pop, it seems like it would be compression, to me. Good luck!

I'll check the compression. Been digging around and it seems parts to rebuild this motor aren't available. What options do I have for a repower?

Most of the parts are still available, get the model number from the engine shroud and go to the briggs site for a parts manual. Autozone stores rent small tools, rent a compression tester, charge up your battery, put the gauge in and spin the motor over until the pressure won't go any higher, usually about 3 spins will do it. 75-90 lbs is good, but say you have 50 lbs, take out the gauge and put a spoonfull of oil into the spark plug hole, put the gauge back in and spin it. If the compression rises significantly you have bad rings, or broken rings, if it hardly goes up at all, you have a stuck or bad valve(s). Once you determine from a compression test what your problem may be, there are articles and experts here to walk you thru the rebuild or valve job. Briggs don't die easy!

Did you try the easy stuff? Pour a little gas down the spark plug hole and try it.Adjust the points? I do not change plugs often but I dont trust Champion plugs try another plug and check it out of the hole.See if it has good spark.

I agree with ka9bx9 go back to basics spark plugs don't always stop fireing sometimes they fade away (rough run, stumble,stall,then will restart and repeat}Also make sure your garb OH is clean basic adjustments are correct and no flooding.