Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

can someone help me find

kilalove21

i'm looking for a good trans for my broadmoor 738. does anyone know where i can find a good one? i found a place by me that has one for $200 plus trade but i'd like to keep mine for parts. any help?

You might check the classifieds in this forum. Don't know if it fits but there is a 725 complete trans in here for $70.00 I believe. Worth a look.

I know right where you are located. My wife grew up in Samaria. She has relatives is Wyane. Good luck in finding one. The guy in the add is in Mi. also.

I would put a "Want Ad" in the club classifieds. That is your best source, personally I wouldn't pay over $50 for a transmission. You can buy a whole Broadmoor for around $100 with a motor.

Unless its full of new parts, $200 is way too much. The 725 trans Hotwire mentioned is different as its for a large frame tractor. Any of the 3sp + reverse Broadmoor/Yeoman transmissions that pivot in the middle will work. These were also used on some AC tractors and some Homelites.

i took the trans off and opened it up after work tonight and the gear cluster #2165009 was bad and gear #2156087 was worn also. the price to rebuild with new seals from jacks is $260.71 before shipping. should i try to find a used one and risk having the same problem or should i just rebuild it?

Id say that depends... if you do it yourself you know it is right... but i imagine you could get 2 or 3 good used rearends (or entire tractors) for that kind of $ and if you rebuild what you know is wrong you should probably find something else in there that needs replacement for the $ and effort... id say, evaluate the entire tractor and your emotional attachment to it... then decide... having said that... when my axle tube was cracked... I opted to buy new just so I knew I wouldnt be buying another problem down the road... so you gotta cast your own die...

I dont know where you're located in MI, but if you can get to Coopersville, I know where there's a very nice smallframe transaxle with your name on it. Not sure what he's askin, but I have his card at work...Floyd's...good guys in there. I looked it over last time I was at his place...shoot me an IM in the morning and I'll get you the info, if the drive isn't too far for ya.

Ouch man...looks like nearly a 3 hour drive. You could probably find a tractor with a good rear in it, closer to home and still be ahead for that kind of gas money. Sorry....

quote:
Originally posted by Chris727
Any of the 3sp + reverse Broadmoor/Yeoman transmissions that pivot in the middle will work.
Careful Chris, The Serf transaxles had different axles on them. The left axle shaft is smaller than the right side.

I would just keep my eyes open on craigs or other. You can find whole tractors for less than $200 fairly regularly, many times with a deck or other stuff. Then you have your trans, parts, tires, etc. Take the best of both and make one good tractor, sell the rest for parts or scrap. JMHO.

Make the guy a lower offer than $200 with no trade. Sounds like he wants to get rid of it and if its only worth $100 like some of the guys are saying in this topic, then maybe he knows that already. If he cant sell it, he will come down. You ever watch the show American Pickers ... haggle like those guys do!

If you are sure you want to keep it then stick the money into it. That way you know what you have. If its likely to be shuffled thru, buy a donor. I don't mind spending more if I know I am going to keep something.

i think i'm gonna buy a used one and take the best parts of my two trans' and make one good one. i looked at seals and keys from jacks so hopefully i'll won't have anymore problems. how did everyone get all their knowledge on these tractors? you guys are incredible!

quote:
Originally posted by kilalove21
how did everyone get all their knowledge on these tractors? you guys are incredible!
Trust me on this,,,,, it's a team effort. There wouldn't be much of a forum here if we kept secrets from the other members. One of the biggest advantages we have is the fact that we can get owner manuals for free online.

Watch what you buy.of all 5 or 6 trans that I have tore apart those are the same 2 parts that I have found wore out in mine.

Check with this guy. He lives right across the state line from you in Ohio. He bought a bunch of tractors from another friend of mine and should have what you need. http://simpletractors.com/club2/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=2915