Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
donmoore1904

Painting a 7010 seat pan

donmoore1904
My seat pan needs a paint job. It has been painted a few times already, and you can see there was some checking/flaking of the coat prior to the current one. Also, there is bare metal in a few spots where the hinge bracket was repaired, and the paint flaked off due to the pan being bent. This is strictly a working tractor, so stripping seems extreme. I have done very little body work, and it has been a while. What could I use to prepare the previous paint and bare areas (prime them?)? I could use some degreaser, then sand. What grit? This is around 1974. Would Duplicolor DE1607 work? Thanks, Don ps - I previously posted about some welding jobs, including this one. My brother used his wire welder on the bracket, and another guy gas welded the plow skid plate support. It's nice to know the right people...

3314WV
i would use 400 wet or dry paper so it would not leave deep scratch marks and feather the chips. Use a sandable primer with a couple coats and finish sand that with 600 and then apply your color of choice. :)

donmoore1904
quote:
Originally posted by 3314WV
i would use 400 wet or dry paper so it would not leave deep scratch marks and feather the chips. Use a sandable primer with a couple coats and finish sand that with 600 and then apply your color of choice. :)
Sounds like good advice. Thanks.

mroman59
you can use some spot putty or light sanding bondo on the areas you want to build up to the level of the paint where it did not flake off. Then prime and sand to a smooth finish. the 400/600 wet sanding paper works good and a couple of coats of paint should do the rest.

midnightpumpkin
On large flat areas like the seat pan and hoods, I have found these nylon wheels from Harbor Freight do an excellent job of removing paint and rust down to bare metal. http://www.harborfreight.com/4-1-2-half-inch-nylon-abrasive-wheel-94017.html John U

dhardin
Best result is use there two products. http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-81849-Rust-Treatment-10-25/dp/B000BKC25K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299527817&sr=8-1 Napa carries it around here http://www.vansicklepaint.com/tractor/tractorhome.html tractor supply and Big R around here.